Multimedia University (MMU), Cyberjaya, Malaysia
Average Tuition (entire course)
March, July, October
Male : female student ratio
Information not available
Local : international
100 : 0
Problem with content?
Click this button to report incorrect content about this university.Report a problem
Contact us. It's Free!
Reviews of Multimedia University (MMU), Cyberjaya, Malaysia
Courses offered in Multimedia University (MMU), Cyberjaya, Malaysia
About Multimedia University (MMU), Cyberjaya, Malaysia (Summary, Fees, Scholarship, Campus Life, etc.)
Multimedia University (MMU), is a tertiary higher education institution which was set up through Universiti Telekom Sdn Bhd (UTSB), a wholly owned subsidiary of TM, fulfills the noblest of corporate social responsibilities – taking up the challenge of educating the next generation of the nation’s leaders and knowledge workers. As the first private university in Malaysia, MMU developed the pioneer model for the successful establishment of private universities in the nation, paving the way for the growth of the private tertiary education sector. As a university at the heart of the MSC, MMU also serves as a catalyst for the development of the high tech ICT industry of the nation, parallel to the Silicon Valley-Stanford model in the United States.
As part of TM’s initiative to further develop the ICT industry in the nation as a whole, MMU serves to fulfil the nation’s human resource needs as it grows into a knowledge economy. The establishment of MMU as a research university also serves to benefit the nation’s ICT industry to be a creator and not just a consumer of technology. Through the establishment of a local private university, the nation can train its required human resources within its borders, a sound strategy from the economic management perspective.
MMU’s continued growth and sustainability is a clear indication of TM’s strong commitment towards the development of the field of education and research in the nation.
The university runs in 2 campuses in Malaysia. The campus was first opened in Melaka and later on, a second campus was opened in Cyberjaya. MMU has come a long way since then - establishing itself as a major player in research and development, maintaining excellent ties with the industry through collaborations and research partnerships and currently now, it hosts 13 Research Centres which focuses the niche areas of nanotechnolog, microsystems, biometircs, virtual reality, microwave and telecommunications, engineering, photonics, advanced robotics and business.
Videos of Multimedia University (MMU), Cyberjaya, Malaysia
In 1996 the government of Malaysia was looking for ways to liberalise higher education in the nation, and with that, involving the private education sector in the development of this critical sector of human capital building. As such, the Ministry of Education was looking for an established private company to kick off the pilot project for university building. In October 1996, the then Telekom Malaysia was given the distinction by the country's Ministry of Education to set up the first private university in Malaysia. It was considered an honour to be given such trust by the government to spearhead the privatization of higher education. Being a natural extension of the existing ITTM campuses that TM already runs, TM accepted the invitation and Universiti Telekom was established in Melaka.
A year later, with the planning of the MSC in progress, the government once again was looking for a suitable candidate in order to construct a university in the heart of the MSC. The idea behind this university is to mirror the Stanford-Silicon Valley example, where a centre of teaching and research catalyzed the development of high tech industry in the surrounding area. In March 1997, TM was given the task to set up this university, only this time, it was to be known as Multimedia University. Considering that the telecommunications industry was becoming closely linked with developments in ICT, expansion into an education field directly related to ICT was a natural strategic decision.
Today, the wholly owned subsidiary of TM, University Telekon Sdn Bhs (UTSB) runs the two campuses as one university named Multimedia University (MMU). TM invited Prof Datuk Dr Ghauth Jasmon to lead UTSB, and he served MMU as President for 11 years. His responsibility was passed on to Prof Dr Zaharin Yusoff who took over as the second president of MMU from 2008.
MMU has developed a lot since then and now has a total of 8 faculties and 2 academic centres in total of both campuses.
The faculties available in this campus are:
- Faculty of Engineering (FOE)
- Faculty of Computing and Informatics (FCI)
- Faculty of Creative Multimedia (FCM)
- Faculty of Management (FOM)
This campus is well equipped with many intelligent features among which are:
- Multimedia learning facilities
- Intelligent building systems
- Electronic governance
- Digital library
- Integrated campus management system
This campus was designed based on a techno organic concept which prioritises on a pedagogic and inquisitive approach conductive for learning and experimentation.
Among other facilities available on this campus are:
- Swimming pool
- Field & Mini stadium
- Indoor badminton court
- Learning Institute for Empowerment (LIFE)
- Centre Diploma Programme (CDP)
This campus is located in a convenient place which makes it easy for student to access it via several means of public transportation:
- KTM Commuter - The stop to get off at is Serdang Station and from here, you will have to take 2 Rapid KL buses to get to this campus.
- ERL (KLIA Transit) - Trains are available daily from 5.30am to midnight. This train will take you to Putrajaya Western Transport Terminal (WTT) and from here, a Rapid KL bus (429) is available for you to get to MMU Cyberjaya.
2. Public Bus
- Rapid KL - buses are available from 3 different points around KL and Selangor. These buses will take you to WTT and from here, you will have to get another bus (429) to get to MMU Cyberjaya.
- Metrobus - There are several of these buses which will take you directly to MMU Cyberjaya from several spots around in Selangor.
- Taxi services are available at the Cyberjaya Transport Terminal and the Putrajaya Western Transport Terminal (WTT).
There are also a number of facilities off-campus which makes it even more convenient for students to go about their dailt lives. Among the facilities available are:
- Clinics (MMU Cyber Medical Centre and Policlinic Gomez)
- Restaurants and food outlets (KFC, Dominos, Pizza Hut, Central Food Court, etc...)
- Shopping complexes (Alamanda)
- Post Office
- 4 residential colleges.
- 250 rooms for each block.
- Maximum students in each room are 3.
- Each block has a common area which is equipped with television, ASTRO, muslim prayer room, pantry, food court, recreational area, and guest lounge.
Facilities in rooms:
- Beds (1 single and 1 double-decker)
- 2 closets
- 2 study tables
- Networking lines
Facilities in each block:
- Common room with TV
- Guest lounge
- Food court
- Laundry rooms
- Recreational area
- Ground Floor: RM 178 per person / month
- First Floor: RM 202 per person / month
- Second Floor: RM 196 per person / month
- Third Floor: RM 190 per person / month
- Fourth Floor: RM 184 per person / month
- A deposit of RM 400 is required upon registration and a prepayment of RM 200 has to be made for each trimester
There are 2 available accommodation out of this campus:
Cyberia Crescent - 5-10 minutes walking distance from campus.
Neo Cyber Apartment - 10-15 minutes walking distance from campus. Able to accommodate 7-9 people per-unit
- Study tables and chairs
- Beds and mattresses
- Swimming pool
- 24 hours security
- Multi-purpose hall
- Study cell
- Broadband connection ready and wireless 'hot-spot' at facilities area
- Initial payment: 2 months security deposit + 1 months advance rental + 1 month utility deposit + tenancy agreement (estimated RM 1000 and quarterly rental collection)
- RM 1600 - RM 1900 per apartment / RM 200 ++ per month / person
MMU has won quite a number of awards throughout the years.
- Asia Pacific Award for Best of Smart Learning Applications
- Asia Pacific MSC IT & Telecommunication Award (APMITTA)
- Highest Enrolment of Local Students
- Excellence in R&D
- Highest Number of Courses Accredited
- Special Award in Recognition of MMU's Overall Achievement
- AEFO Outstanding Engineering Achievement Award 2007
- IET Best Student Chapter Award & IET Leadership Award.
- Best Oral Presenter Award
- Best Paper Award (Faculty of Management)
- 2011 Awards for Excellence (Faculty of Management)
- Achievement Award The 2011 World Congress in Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Applied Computing
- Export Excellence Award (Services Category II)
easyuni Sdn Bhd (hereafter EASYUNI) makes every possible effort to ensure that the information published on this website is accurate and up-to-date, but we accept no legal liability for errors or omissions, and reserve the right to make changes without notice.
Please note that the information published on this website concerning courses is intended for guidance purposes only. Therefore you are advised to contact the University or College before applying in order to confirm details because the availability of courses, tuition fees, and entry requirements may change without notice.
EASYUNI and its directors, employees, agents and consultants exclude all liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of, or reliance on, the material contained on this website whether or not caused by a negligent act or omission. EASYUNI makes every effort to ensure that the information on courses published on its website is up-to-date and accurate. However it does not constitute a contract and does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in or referred to in the material on this website.
Contact us. It's Free!
Questions / Comments
easyuni Sdn. Bhd. (Formerly known as HESCAR Sdn. Bhd.). All Rights Reserved.
easyuni Sdn. Bhd. is MSC status company.