About this course
This course leads to the award of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for the 11–16 age range which enables you to teach in schools in England and Wales. The course also offers enrichment opportunities to teach the 16–18 age phase.
The programme is suitable if you have graduated with a good honours degree or equivalent, in the traditional areas of religious studies and theology, or associated disciplines such as anthropology, philosophy and sociology.
Studying with us, you will have access to excellent resources and gain practical experience in two of around 250 schools with whom we have partnerships. You will be mentored by a successful teaching team with an outstanding national reputation and comprehensive research profile that informs course content.
Religious education continues to occupy a lively, distinctive and often controversial place in education and we engage in this debate as part of the healthy growth of the subject. You will be required to work out your own answers and approaches to the exciting challenges in religious education in professional, reflective and practical ways as you take on the role of a religious education teacher.
Degree and experience:
- Applicants should hold a good honours degree (usually 2:1 or above) in a related subject such as philosophy, anthropology, sociology or another associated discipline, or a minimum 2:2 if your degree is in theology and religious studies or if you have gained relevant subject knowledge in another way.
- All applicants should have a love of and enthusiasm for RE and a strong commitment to working with young people.
- By the time the course starts we would advise you to have recent observation experience in a secondary school.
- English language and mathematics, minimum grade C or equivalent. In-house tests are available for candidates without qualifications in mathematics and English.
- All applicants are required to attend an interview in person either at the Falmer campus or in one of our partner schools. It is strongly advised, but not vital, that you gain some observation experience before your interview to inform discussion.
English Language Requirement:
- IELTS 7.0 in all elements.