About this course
This course leads to the award of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for the 11–16 age range which enables you to be employed as a qualified teacher in secondary schools in England and Wales. The course also offers enrichment opportunities to teach the 16–18 age phase.
The programme would be suitable if you have graduated with a good honours degree or equivalent, in a subject directly relevant to the English specialism.
Studying with us, you will have access to excellent resources and gain practical experience in two of around 250 schools with whom we have partnerships. You will be mentored by a successful teaching team with an outstanding national reputation and comprehensive research profile that informs course content.
Specialising in English at PGCE level means that you will be able to take a role in the leadership and development of this subject area throughout your career.
Students on this course can choose to progress to one of our Education MAs after completing the PGCE.
Degree and/or experience:
- A good honours degree or equivalent, directly relevant to subject specialism.
- Minimum grade C in English language and mathematics. In-house equivalence tests are available for suitable candidates.
- All applicants are required to attend an interview in person either at the Falmer campus or in one of our partner schools.
- All offers of places are subject to a satisfactory health check and a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) enhanced check.
English Language Requirement:
- IELTS 7.0 in all elements.