About this course
This course prepares you to teach design and technology in secondary schools. As well as earning a PGCE, you will be assessed against the national standards for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), which enables you to teach in schools in England and Wales. The course also offers enrichment opportunities to teach the 16–18 age phase.
You will develop a personal philosophy of design and technology education, enabling you to debate issues from informed viewpoints. Your teaching skills will be developed through workshop based sessions, presentations, lectures, group discussions, tutorials and self-managed study as well as school placements.
- Degree: A good honours degree or equivalent, directly relevant to subject specialism.
- GCSE: Minimum grade C in English language and mathematics. In-house equivalence tests are available for suitable candidates.
- Experience: Applicants will be expected to demonstrate recent and relevant experience of children in secondary schools and understanding of what it is to be a teacher.
- Foundation degree/HND: Candidates with an art or design-based HND need to engage in further relevant study to obtain a degree before applying for the PGCE. Many BA courses accept HND students for a final year, and some offer a part-time two-year option for candidates who need to continue working.
English Language Requirement:
- IELTS 7.0 in all elements.