England, United Kingdom
|Year established||Data not available|
|Student population||Medium (1,001 to 10,000)|
|foreign students||Data not available|
|Nationalities||Data not available|
About Teesside University
Teesside University, located in Middlesbrough, in the heart of North East England, offers a truly international experience. Teesside University have an established international reputation for academic excellence and for the global impact of our research. For over 85 years, Teesside University have fostered creativity, enterprise and innovation, shaping the lives of students from over 100 countries worldwide
Teesside University is listed in Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017-2018. They are also ranked number one in the UK for overall average student satisfaction (International Student Barometer Autumn 2016).
International students at Teesside University can expect:
- A high-quality academic experience. Teesside University are ranked number one in the UK for average satisfaction with the learning experience and number one for 'good teachers' *
- Excellent job prospects. Teesside University are ranked number one in the UK for careers advice and employability, and number one in the UK and number two globally for our careers service*
- A world-class learning environment – Teesside University have invested over £270mil in our town-centre campus.
*International Student Barometer Survey Autumn 2016, Autumn Wave – 182 institutions participated globally, 42 in the UK.
|IELTS||Data not available|
|TOEFL||Data not available|
For admission requirements and intakes for each individual course/programme please refer to course details.
Courses available 10
Tuition and application fees
Data not available
Estimated tuition fees as reported by the institution.
|Application fee (local students)||Data not available|
|Application fee (foreign students)||Data not available|
|Student visa fee (foreign students)||Data not available|
Data not available
Average living cost in United Kingdom
The amount is indicated taking into account the average cost of food, accommodation, etc in United Kingdom for 2023
|Food||Data not available|
|Accommodation||Data not available|
|Others||Data not available|
Teesside University offer some of best-value University-managed accommodation in the UK, located on campus or very close by. Be part of the University community and have the opportunity to participate in lots of extra activities organised by your hall such as sports and social events. It’s a great way to quickly develop a network of friends and get involved in university life.
Types of accommodation
- 1,100 places on campus in University-managed halls, houses or flats
- 300 additional places in houses which are privately owned by landlords, but managed by the University
- All are within easy walking distance of our campus
- In University-managed residences you have facilities to do your own cooking and laundry
- You can rent for a 40-week period
- Heating, lighting, student bedroom insurance and free internet access is included in the cost
- The residences are mixed, open to both men and women. However, there are separate sections for rooms for men and for women
- Teesside University welcome applications from students with special needs although specialist accommodation is limited. If you have particular requirements, please let us know as soon as you receive a place on a course
- Kitchen equipment and bedding are not provided. You can buy a kitchen pack and bedding pack from our online shop. They must be requested and paid for before you arrive. Details are sent with your accommodation offer.
Teesside University campus is a much safer environment than those in larger cities. For your assurance, uniformed security officers patrol the campus and monitor closed-circuit television all day, every day. Teesside University can also visit our security control room near to the library main entrance.
Accommodation for families
Suitable accommodation for couples, especially those with children, is limited. Contact the accommodation team for advice and information If you intend to bring dependents, particularly children, you are strongly advised to make accommodation arrangements before travelling to the University.
You can find an abundance of property in Middlesbrough's private sector - in traditional houses or in purpose-built halls of residence Teesside University accommodation team can help you identify landlords to contact but it doesn't arrange this accommodation for you - your contract is directly with the landlord, not with the University.
If you want to look for a place to live after you arrive, or if you make a late application, you may need to book temporary accommodation for your first few nights. This will cost a minimum of £30 per night.
- Teesside University have some of the most affordable University-managed accommodation in the UK
- Rents for 2015-16 vary from £84.20 a week (£3,368 a year) to £98.40 a week (£3,936 a year) for a single room
- £57.45 a week (£2,298 a year) for a shared room in halls of residence
- £65-67 a week in University-managed housing
Where to live while you study here
Living close to the University will greatly benefit your studies and your student experience. We recommend that you choose to live in Middlesbrough, or as nearby as possible. Some cities in the North East of England, like Leeds and Newcastle, are up to two hours travelling time away from the University campus. Teesside University do not recommend you live as far away as that during your studies at Teesside University.
- Teesside University have invested over £270m in our vibrant campus, including a new £20m teaching facility
- International students rank us in the top five in the UK for Teesside University campus buildings (182 institutions participated globally, 42 in the UK, International Student Barometer Autumn 2016)
- Teesside University campus isn't all new-build. The Grade II listed Waterhouse building and clock tower dates back to 1875, designed by Alfred Waterhouse (along with London's Natural History Museum).
- Teesside University have a 90% satisfaction rate with our learning resources - above the national average of 87% (National Student Survey 2016).
- Library - four floors of quality, up-to-date resources, 1,300 places for individual and group study, access to over 40,000 books and 79,500 journals, over 450 PCs across all floors and specialist academic librarians for each subject area. Plus a learning hub and learning cafe.
- Specialist engineering labs for aerospace engineering, civil engineering and the built environment, computer-aided design and manufacture, power plants, control systems and automation, electrical engineering and telecommunications. In addition there are specialist pilot plant facilities for chemical and mechanical engineering. Teesside University nanotechnology facility allows typical semiconductor processes such as photolithography, and material deposition and etching techniques to be carried out in a controlled environment. Other microfabrication systems are integrated into the facility, together with atomic force microscopy equipment.
- Specialist science labs include molecular biology, microbiology, food technology, hydroponics, anatomy and physiology, and analytical chemistry laboratories. Teesside University have also developed a specialised tissue culture laboratory, a facility to research the ability of micro-organisms to clean polluted environments and a state-of-the-art clean room facility for nanotechnology to support Teesside University teaching in this area.
- Specialist Crime Scene Investigation and Forensic Science labs include extensive 30 â€“ room crime scene house laboratories, a digital evidence lab and a substantial multi-vehicle examination lab. Further science labs are equipped with a full range of optical microscopes, analytical chemistry equipment and DNA profiling facilities. In addition, Teesside University have a replica courtroom at the University where you can present evidence in a realistic environment to further enhance your learning opportunities.
- Forensics - digital evidence lab, vehicle examination lab and 30-room crime scene house.
- Health students benefit from Teesside University new dental practice facility and clinical skills labs (four wards, 17 beds), with lifesize training dummies, manual handling hoists, delivery beds, cots and midwifery equipment
- Law - courtroom on campus, a replica of one of the courtrooms at Teesside Combined Court, to simulate Family, Crown or Magistrates' Court hearings. replica police station includes an interview room, examination room, custody office and front desk. Teesside University law clinic offers a free service to the community, giving law students practical experience in handling legal cases
- Creative arts - life drawing, music and HD TV studios, facilities for animation, post-production, motion capture, radio recording and editing, and the first purpose-built convergent newsroom in a UK university
- Media - new sound stage facility including a state-of-the-art recording studio, lighting rig, stedicam, large HD green/blue screen and a specialist Mark Roberts' motion control system
- Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art is part of Teesside University. It is one of the UK's leading galleries for modern and contemporary art and craft.
- Technology - from Macs for high-end design to high-tech workstations for complex visualisation and software development, and over 2,700 workstations throughout the University
- The campus is located in central Middlesbrough in the North East of England.
- All facilities and accommodation within a short walking distance from the campus.
- Well connected the UK by public transport - easy to explore other towns and cities in the UK.
- Free collection service for international students arriving at Newcastle of Durham Tees Valley airports.
- Beautiful coast and country and historic cities just minutes away on public transport.
- London and Edinburgh just 2.5 hours away by train.
Medium (1,001 to 10,000)
|Undergraduate students||Data not available|
|Postgraduate students||Data not available|
|foreign students||Data not available|