About this course
This programme aims to provide candidates with an advanced knowledge of economics. Candidates can complete the programme through two different modes of study: coursework intensive and research intensive. The coursework intensive mode of study places emphasis on the ability of the candidate to demonstrate their depth and scope of knowledge through successfully completion of course modules, while the research intensive mode of study places emphasis on the ability of the candidate to demonstrate their advanced knowledge and understanding of economics through the completion of independent research. The principal scopes of the programme are to produce graduates that have advanced knowledge in the area of economic theory and are capable of the empirical application of such knowledge and independent research in the field of economics. Additionally, the programme seeks to produce graduates with the tailored skills necessary to be successful as academics, researchers and policymakers.
Candidates who wish to pursue the programme of study must:
- possess an educational background consisting of:
- Bachelor of Economics with honours from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia or other higher education institution recognized by the UKM Senate; or
- other qualification(s) equivalent to a Bachelor of Economics with honours from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia or other higher education institution recognized by the UKM Senate;
- obtain a minimum TOEFL score of 550 or IELTS 6 or other English proficiency examination recognized by the UKM Senate, in the event that the candidate is an international student; and
- meet any further requirements and conditions specified by the Faculty of Economics and Management.