About this course
The International Foundation Programme has been designed to provide international students an accessible and flexible route into UK higher education, and enable students to progress onto degree learning in a variety of subject disciplines. This programme is relevant for those who do not have A-Levels or other Pre-U qualifications as it prepares students for entry qualifications for a British university.
Programme Aims & Objectives
- Prepare international students with the necessary English language skills to effectively learn in an English speaking environment.
- Facilitate the development of the underpinning knowledge and skills to succeed in higher education.
- Support students in their thinking about personal, educational and career development via personal development planning.
- Be prepared for entry to Level 1 of degree study.
- Developed a basic factual and conceptual knowledge in the areas of business, computing, IT and academic skills for higher education.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the ethical issues in the main areas of study.
- Able to engage in self-directed activity with broad guidance and evaluation.
- Confident in use and access to a range of learning resources.
- Able to manage information, collect data from a range of straightforward sources and undertake simple research tasks with external guidance.
- Demonstrate basic skills of manipulation of knowledge (analysis, synthesis, evaluation and application).
- Develop ability to apply given tools/methods to a well- defined problem.
- Demonstrate the skills of working individually or in team.
- Develop the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrate ability to operate with limited autonomy in predictable, defined contexts.
- Able to evaluate own strengths and weakness in broad terms within criteria largely set by others.
- An overall credit pass at 5 subjects at SPM level.
- 5 grade B passes at O Levels / GCSE.
- A qualification that GEM accepts as equivalent to the above.
English Language Requirement
An IELTS 4.5 grade or equivalent is required otherwise the student will be required to take the College's "English Placement Test (EPT)". If the student performs poorly in the EPT, he/she must attend the "English for Higher Education (EHE)" module that runs concurrently with the main programme. The International Foundation Programme is designed to assist students in gaining a level of English equivalent to IELTS 6.0 which is an entry requirement for admission into Staffordshire University Degree Year 1.