About this course
NIDA’s Master of Fine Arts (Voice) provides mid-career artists and voice practitioners with the opportunity to undertake specialised study exploring new ideas and innovations in voice teaching and coaching for the performing arts.
Voice is a powerful and expressive tool that identifies who we are and how we relate to one another. This course aims to educate the next generation of voice teachers and coaches through pedagogies that explore both physiological functions and imaginative intention. Acknowledging the broad perspectives and diverse influences behind a distinct and contemporary Australian vocal identity, the course develops the relationships between voice and speech, and text and language as the essential elements in a broad and inclusive teaching practice.
The MFA (Voice) aims to encourage a new generation of voice teachers and coaches who will embrace change, contribute to international conversations about teaching and learning for voice, and are equipped to address the evolving contemporary issues and opportunities in the sector. As vocal teachers or coaches, students are supported to develop leadership capabilities within cultural, performance and academic communities.
This is a course for actors, theatre directors, drama teachers and other voice professionals wanting to develop a career in teaching, such as tutoring emerging voice professionals, coaching professional actors for performance or consultation, or delivering corporate training.
We select applicants who demonstrate commitment, capacity and willingness to advance their practice by:
- Working creatively
- Collaborating as part of a creative team
- Demonstrating a range of relevant skills and technical abilities
- Providing evidence of intellectual enquiry and reflection within their work
- Communicating clearly
All applicants applying for the graduate courses at NIDA must have:
- An undergraduate degree in performance/teaching practice with voice foundations, or
- at least five years’ experience in a related discipline.
English Language Requirement:
- English language proficiency equivalent to an overall band score of 7.0 or 8.0 IELTS, depending on the course.