About this course
This program offers a combination of theoretical and applied aspects of statistics and is specifically designed for those who are interested in enhancing their knowledge and career development in the field of statistics. Candidates admitted to this program will pursue a structure of prescribed courses of study and be examined at the end of each semester.
Each candidate is also required to undertake a short research project and submit a dissertation on the research for examination. Candidates with a good background in statistics should be able to complete the program in two semesters. Candidates from other disciplines, or those without a strong background in statistics, may be required to audit some undergraduate courses.
Master’s Admission Requirements
- A Bachelor’s Degree (Hons.) or its equivalent in the related field.
- Preference will be given to applicants having a Bachelor’s Degree with CGPA 3.0 and above or its equivalent, or second class honors from a recognized university.
- Applicants having a Bachelor’s Degree with CGPA 3.7 and above can apply directly for the PhD programme.
PhD Admission Requirements
- A Master’s Degree or its equivalent in the related field.
- Have at least IELTS Band 6 or TOEFL 550 if their first degree is from a university where English is not the medium of instruction.
- Or Pass an English proficiency test approved by the University.
- Bahasa Malaysia for Foreigners
- All foreign candidates of higher degree are required to attend and pass the Bahasa Malaysia course run by the Faculty of Languages and Linguistics before the conferment of their Masters degree
- Candidates are exempt from the course if they have obtained a pass grade in:
- the Malaysian Certificate of Education level
- Level III of the Bahasa Malaysia Proficiency Certificate
- Level III of the University’s Intensive Bahasa Malaysia Certificate
- Or equivalent