University of Melbourne
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Ready to apply? Start here.
|# 33||QS World University Rankings 2014|
|Student population||Large (More than 10,000)|
|Nationalities||Contact the university / college|
About University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is an Australian public university located in Melbourne, Victoria. It is Australia's second oldest university and the oldest in Victoria. The University aims to be one of the finest universities in the world. Growing Esteem is the University's strategy for achieving high regard and for making a distinctive contribution to society.
The character of the University and the importance of its core activities can be described through the metaphor of Triple Helix — Research, Learning and teaching, and Engagement programs. These three strands of the helix are supported and enabled by good leadership and by the people who stand behind them, infrastructure, polices, planning, administration and resources.
The University is home to some of Australia's leading outreach education bodies which actively promote links between countries and enhance cross-cultural understanding through seminars, exhibitions, short-courses, international internships and leadership programs. The world's best minds are brought together to solve globally significant problems.
|IELTS||Contact the university / college|
|TOEFL||Contact the university / college|
For admission requirements and intakes for each individual course/programme please refer to course details.
Courses available 10
Tuition and application fees
Contact the university / college
Average cost after financial aid for students receiving grant or scholarship aid, as reported by the college.
|Application fee (local students)||Contact the university / college|
|Application fee (international students)||Contact the university / college|
|Student visa fee (international students)||Contact the university / college|
Contact the university / college
Average cost in Australia
The amount is indicated taking into account the average cost of food, accommodation, etc in Australia for 2023
|Food||Contact the university / college|
|Accommodation||Contact the university / college|
|Others||Contact the university / college|
- Student apartments: Student apartments are properties specifically designed for University students. These properties are fully furnished and provide community building activities that allow students to get to know each other and connect with the University.
- Homestay: There are homestay options which provide a furnished room and vary in cost depending on a set arrangement. Meals are provided in full-board homestays.
- Private rentals: Many students choose to rent an apartment or property through the private rental market. Students can rent alone or organise to share the property with other tenants.
- Share housing: Share houses often offer a cheaper alternative to other accommodations options as well as giving more independence. However private renting also means more responsibility so students have to make sure to research available options and prepare in advance.
- Residential Colleges: There are eleven Residential Colleges at the University of Melbourne. They provide an enriching and supportive environment for approximately 2500 undergraduate and graduate students. The colleges offer first-class academic support, cultural activities and sporting programs. Each college has a vibrant and diverse social atmosphere.
There are seven campus locations across Melbourne and rural Victoria, including the Parkville campus. Only a short walk from Melbourne's city centre, visitors are welcome and invited to explore the unique cultural, architectural and landscape features and facilities.
Services available to the public:
- Conference management service
- Venue hire
- Campus filming guidelines
- External examination arrangements
- Musician's Agency
Facilities for hire:
- The Woodward Conference Centre
- University House
- Hawthorn Campus Conference Facilities
- Sports facilities
- Student Union Function and Conference Service
- Graduate Centre
- Theatres and seminar rooms
Services on campus:
- Automated teller machines (ATMs)
- Academic dress and regalia shop
- Melbourne University Bookshop
- Post office, mailboxes
- Computer supplies
- Cafes, takeaway food, coffee kiosks
- Cinema and theatre
- Travel agency
The Parkville Campus of the University is in a city central location and has many public transport hubs within a 5 minute walk from campus.
- Swanston Street: 1, 3, 3a, 5, 6, 8, 16, 64, 67 72
- Elizabeth Street: 19, 59
- Melbourne Central Station is located within walking distance to the Parkville campus, and is also serviced by the tram routes listed above.
- North Melbourne Station is accessible via the 401 bus.
Large (More than 10,000)
|Undergraduate students||Contact the university / college|
|Postgraduate students||Contact the university / college|
|International students||Contact the university / college|