Image source: Pexels
Malaysia is one of the best places to study for international students.
Simply because there is so much to explore in this multicultural country! Besides, the living cost and tuition fees here are much more affordable, so why not give studying abroad a try and explore Malaysia in the process?
Read more here - International students in Malaysia: An overview
Getting a Visa is pretty simple too. As English is one of the most commonly used languages in the country, you will find yourself handling the Visa application easily, even on your own!
How to get your Malaysia Student Visa?
You must follow these steps to successfully apply for a Malaysia Student Visa.
- Apply and have your application formally accepted by a Malaysian higher education institution.
- Get assistance from your university to register an application for you. You will need to sign an application form.
- Compile all the necessary documents.
- Pay application and processing fee.
- The decision is usually announced in one to two weeks.
- Receive a letter of approval (VAL) that you will use to enter Malaysia first.
- Meet the university representative at the Malaysia airport.
- Collect your Malaysia Student Visa.
Image source: Pexels
How to apply for a Visa Approval Letter (VAL)?
There are two ways to apply for a Visa Approval Letter:
- Apply on your own through the Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS) website; or
- Let your university apply it for you.
To apply yourself, you must first compile all the documents you need to show that you are eligible for a Malaysia Student Pass.
Next, you need to register an account on the EMGS website.
Keep in mind that you must upload electronic copies of the documents and pay for the processing fees.
Once you receive your VAL, you must keep both versions (print and electronic) with you.
What documents do you need?
First of all, you need to know the documents you need to apply for a Student Visa. You will need:
Offer letter from a higher education institution;
- Two sets of Form Imm.14;
- Two copies of your passport with the following information included:
-Date of issuance
-Previous visas obtained (if any)
-Previous passport numbers (if any)
- Two sets of coloured photos (3.5 cm x 3.5 cm); (View passport photo guidelines)
- Personal Bond form - International students must sign this form to assure that they will obey all Malaysian immigration laws.
- Health declaration form
- Academic certificates / transcripts
- Letter Of Eligibility (LOE) - for students from Iran
- English language proficiency certificate. You must sit for an English Language test and achieve an acceptable grade to study in Malaysia. You can choose from one of the tests below:
-IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
-TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
-PTE – Academic (Pearson Test of English)
-CAE (Cambridge English: Advance)
-CPE (Cambridge English: Proficiency)
-MUET (Malaysian University English Test)
How much do you need to pay for your Malaysia Student Visa?
The application and/or processing fees are as below:
Student Pass: RM 60 / USD 12.90
Visa: RM 50 / USD 10.80
*Amount is subject to change depending on the Malaysian government
How long is the visa processing time?
It is best to apply for your Malaysia Student Visa early to avoid any delays.
The entire process from application to receiving your visa takes roughly four to six weeks, which is quite fast compared to other countries. Generally, the entry visa takes about three weeks, and you will receive your Visa Approval Letter in 14 days.
What to do once you’re in Malaysia?
Congratulations and welcome to Malaysia!
Upon arrival, make sure you go for a medical screening within 7 working days. You can visit any panel clinic in the country to do so.
There you go! We hope this clears things up for you regarding your Malaysia Student Visa application. We look forward to having you in Malaysia. See you soon!
More about studying in Malaysia: