University Malaya (UM)
Kuala Lumpur, WP Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
|# 24||QS University Rankings: Asia 2018|
|Year established||Data not available|
|Student population||Large (More than 10,000)|
|Nationalities||Data not available|
About University Malaya (UM)
Did you know University of Malaya has its roots in Singapore? Established in 1949 as the King Edward VII College of Medicine, rapid growth led to a second university set up in Kuala Lumpur in January 1959. They became two autonomous national universities, one located in Singapore (National University of Singapore) and the other in Kuala Lumpur (University of Malaya). UM was officially established on 1 January 1962.
Today, it has more than 2,500 faculty members. In 2012, UM was granted autonomy status by the Ministry of Higher Education.
The university is divided into 12 faculties, 2 academies and 3 Centres, namely:
- Faculty of Law, Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Built Environment, Faculty of Economics and Administration, Faculty of Business and Accountancy, Faculty of Education, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Languages and Linguistics, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology.
- Academy of Malay Studies,
- Academy of Islamic Studies,
- Cultural Centre,
- Sports Centre
- Centre for Foundation Studies.
|IELTS||Data not available|
|TOEFL||Data not available|
For admission requirements and intakes for each individual course/programme please refer to course details.
Courses available 10
Tuition and application fees
Data not available
Estimated tuition fees as reported by the institution.
|Application fee (local students)||Data not available|
|Application fee (foreign students)||Data not available|
|Student visa fee (foreign students)||Data not available|
Data not available
Average living cost in Malaysia
The amount is indicated taking into account the average cost of food, accommodation, etc in Malaysia for 2023
|Food||Data not available|
|Accommodation||Data not available|
|Others||Data not available|
University Malaya provides both on and off campus accommodation.
- There are 13 residential colleges which provide on campus accommodation to UM students including international students under UM Student Exchange Programme. These residential colleges can accommodate more than 11,000 students. Some residential colleges provide food and accommodation for students at RM4.50 to RM12 per student per day. The others offer only accommodation at RM150 to RM360 per student per month. It depends on the halls chosen by students.
- Game courts,
- Reading rooms,
- Grocery shops,
- Cyber cafes,
- Computer labs
- Students can choose either international house (for international students) or private house for rent.
- Rental rate: RM800 - RM3000 per month.
- International house - located 2 km away from University Malaya main campus and there is shuttle bus provided by the university.
- Private house for rent
University Malaya is situated on a 750 acre (309 hectare) campus in the southwest of Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia and it is easily accessible by public transport.
Facilities in the campus include:
- Library - with over 1.million materials, the library is able to provide comprehensive information for students.
- Postal services - the postal service can deliver any package or letter or postcard.
- ATMs and bank outlets are easily accessible for the staff and students.
- Bookshop - offering services from the university bookshop to a computer outlet for the students.
- Health services
- Perdanasiswa Complex - fully equipped auditoriums and meeting rooms
- Food court and catering services
- Transportation and travel
- UM Press
- Recreational and sporting facilities
- Rumah Universiti - a convenient accommodation option open to everyone
Large (More than 10,000)
|Undergraduate students||Data not available|
|Postgraduate students||Data not available|
|foreign students||Data not available|