|Living cost||US$ 312 per month|
|Student population||Large (More than 10,000)|
About Institute of Postgraduate Studies, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
USM has 4 campuses, with the main campus located in the tropical island of Penang, a few kilometres outside the world Heritage Site of George Town. IPS Engineering Campus is also located in Penang, IPS Health Campus is located in Kelantan and there is one USM campus in Kuala Lumpur.
USM also has 17 dedicated research centres for a wide range of specialisations which includes:Archaeology, Medicine & Dentistry, Molecular Medicine, Science & Technology, Islamic Development & Management Studies, and Policy Research & International Studies. Faculties on campus include:
- School of Housing, Building and Planning
- School of Industrial Technology
- School of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- School of Computer Sciences
- School of Educational Studies
- School of Management
- School of Housing, Building and Planning
- School of Communication
- School of the Arts
- School of Languages, Literacies and Translation
- School of Humanities
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Biological Sciences
- School of Chemical Sciences
- School of Mathematical Sciences
- School of Physics
- School of Health Sciences
- School of Medical Sciences
- School of Dental Sciences
- School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- School of Materials and Mineral Resources Engineering
- School of Aerospace Engineering
- School of Chemical Engineering
- School of Civil Engineering
- School of Mechanical Engineering
Facilities USM provides for its students:
- An impressive Museum filled with world-class displays & a state-of-the-art
- Art Gallery with fine art pieces.
- Lecture theatre and halls to facilitate classroom learning and teaching.
- Banks, bookshop, pharmacy, a post office and retail outlet to cater to the needs of students
- Anoutstanding research library of over one million items and an extensive network of electronic databases and internet access.
- Students’ residences that accommodate their stay on campus.
- Sport Centre that is equipped with indoor and outdoor facilities that caters to students’ sporting events and games.
- Warm and cozy cafeterias, as well as well-designed pavilions
The Main Campus located in the tropical island of Penang, just a few kilometres outside the world Heritage Site of George Town. This makes it easy to be accessed by a few ways to anyone who is interested in getting there.
- By Air
Getting to Penang via flight makes is easy as they have daily flights from a few major capitals in the region. It has direct links with cities like Bangkok & Phuket (Thailand), Singapore, Medan (Indonesia), Xiamen (China) and Madras (India). All these flights are operated by Malaysian Airlines. However, several international flights to Penang will also usually transit in Kuala where passengers will be transferred to a domestic flight to Penang. The Penang airport (Bayan Lepas International Airport) is situated roughly 10 to 20 km away from USM.
- By Road
Students can drive along the Penang Bridge to get to the Island and from there head straight to the campus. There are also coaches or buses that travel to the Island, allowing for alighting at a nearby town called Gelugor, taxis are readily available to be hired and they will take students into the campus area.
- By Ferry
Ferry service is available from the mainland to the island. Once there on the island, students can either drive, get a taxi or a bus to the USM campus.
Health Campus (Kubang Kerian, Kelantan)
- Accessible by Airplane (Sultan Ismail Petra Airport – Kota Bharu), Bus (Kota Bharu Bus Terminal), Taxi.
Engineering Campus (Nibong Tebal, Penang)
- Accessible by Train (Nibong Tebal Station), Bus (Nibong Tebal Bus Terminal), Taxi.
AMDI Campus (Bertam, Penang)
- Accessible by Airplane (Penang International Airport), Train (Butterworth Terminal), Bus (Butterworth Bus Terminal), Taxi.
Kuala Lumpur Satellite Campus
- Accessible by Airplane (Kuala Lumpur International Airport & Subang Airport), Train (Kuala Lumpur Sentral Terminal), Bus, Taxi.
USM provides male and female hostels to accommodate students in a safe and comfortable environment. Some blocks in hostels are equipped with facilities for handicapped students. Facilities in hostels include wifi, cafeteria, TV rooms, pantry, washing machines, etc. There are single and shared rooms available. Rent varies from as low as RM 2.20 per day per student to RM 13.
Generally students will be allocated a shared room at one of the student hostels, usually on a twin sharing basis with shared bathroom and the cost will be RM 4 per person per day. All rooms are equipped with basic furniture. Pillows, linen and additional cleaning equipment are not provided. Public phones and coin operated laundry machines are also available. There are student cafeterias on campus which provide a variety of halal and affordable meals. There are also many eateries in the neighbourhood off-campus.
Courses available 10Accounting and Finance 1 Applied and Pure Sciences 3 Education and Teaching 1 Engineering 1 Health and Medicine 2 Humanities & Social Sciences 4
Be the first one!