Hong Kong Design Institute (HKDI)
|Year established||Data not available|
|Student population||Medium (1,001 to 10,000)|
|Nationalities||Data not available|
About Hong Kong Design Institute (HKDI)
The Hong Kong Design Institute (HKDI) is one the member institutions of Vocational Training Council (VTC), a leading vocational and professional education and training organisation in Hong Kong. HKDI provides valuable credentials for 10,000 full-time students each year.
Hong Kong is one of the most dynamic cities in the world that fully demonstrates its economic vibrancy and cultural diversity. Because of the unique geographic location at the centre of Asia, Hong Kong has been serving as a gateway linking China, the second largest global economy and the rest of the world. The education system in Hong Kong is also world class where two universities are ranked world’s top 50. Hence, studying in Hong Kong can bring you a wide range of opportunities for career development, given Hong Kong’s privileged connection with China. Its exceptionally low crime rate, freedom of speech and academic, ease to commute, English-learning environment and internationally recognized qualifications also make Hong Kong a good choice for study abroad.
As a leading provider of design education in the region, the Hong Kong Design Institute (HKDI) is committed to providing quality education to cultivate knowledge, professionalism and new talents for the evolving creative industries. HKDI adopts a “Think and Do” approach through contemporary curriculum and active collaborations with industry. Our curriculum is designed with input from industry leaders to ensure its relevance and responsiveness to industry developments. HKDI programmes are quality assured by the Hong Kong Council for the Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications. With many years of experience in design education, HKDI offers programmes spanning across Design Foundation Studies, Communication Design & Digital Media, Fashion & Image Design, and Architecture, Interior & Product Design.
Following a philosophy of encouraging creativity in action, the state-of-the-art campus of HKDI was designed to provide an open and dynamic environment conducive to creative learning and innovative exploration. It blends an open outlook with teaching and learning spaces that encourage interaction, cross-fertilisation of ideas and responsiveness to the community and the wider world.
Our students and alumni are provided with career development advisory and support services. Through articulation arrangements with renowned overseas universities, HKDI Higher Diploma graduates can pursue Top-up Degree courses locally and attain degree qualifications within one or two years.
|IELTS||Data not available|
|TOEFL||Data not available|
For admission requirements and intakes for each individual course/programme please refer to course details.
Courses available 12
Tuition and application fees
Data not available
Estimated tuition fees as reported by the institution.
|Application fee (local students)||Data not available|
|Application fee (foreign students)||Data not available|
|Student visa fee (foreign students)||Data not available|
Data not available
Average living cost in Hong Kong
The amount is indicated taking into account the average cost of food, accommodation, etc in Hong Kong for 2023
|Food||Data not available|
|Accommodation||Data not available|
|Others||Data not available|
There are two student dormitories and both offer shared accommodation. The Pok Fu Lam dormitory has 132 bed spaces and is situated on the south side of Hong Kong Island. The Tsing Yi dormitory has 880 bed spaces. The accommodation fee for 2020/21 academic year is HKD2,000 per month and residence period is from September to May of next year.
The campus is fully equipped with essential state-of-the-art facilities to prepare students for a well-rounded campus life. Each campus was purpose-built with specialized facilities for students of different disciplines to gain know-how and practical skills in their chosen areas. Facilities include:
- DESIGN BOULEVARD: Design Boulevard offers access to the auditorium, exhibition spaces and common facilities. Designed as a “breathing space” for the campus, it evokes a feeling of pantry culture, with space for student activities and the interaction of creative minds.
- VTC AUDITORIUM: The VTC Auditorium accommodates over 700 people, with specially designed acoustics to enhance performances, conferences and other gatherings. Available for hire, this venue is a focal point of the HKDI’s interaction with the community.
- EXHIBITION SPACE: The HKDI Gallery and d-mart provide a combined exhibition space for over 1,600 square metres. Open to the public and intended to showcase the breadth of design generated in or related to the HKDI, the two spaces host exhibitions, trade and industry related events, and display of student works.
- LEARNING RESOURCES CENTRE: Far more than just a library, the Learning Resources Centre is a place for reflection and interaction, where students are encouraged to openly discuss what they learn.
- WORKSHOPS: There are over 100 workshops providing teaching support to areas of Apparel, Audio and Visual, Graphics, Model, Multimedia and Technology, Jewellery and Watches.
- RECREATIONAL FACILITIES: Lifestyle is a source of creativity. Surrounded by recreational facilities that make the students relax, that is why they are full of inspired ideas.
Medium (1,001 to 10,000)
|Undergraduate students||Data not available|
|Postgraduate students||Data not available|
|foreign students||Data not available|