- Non-native speakers of English must provide a TOEFL score of at least 550 paper or 79 internet based, OR an overall band score of 6.5 on the IELTS examination.
The PhD-ME plan of study must include at least 15 hours in the major; 18 hours outside the major field which will include 6 hours in a minor area (defined by the advisory committee); a minimum of 6 hours of mathematics/statistics. A plan of study normally contains about 60 credit hours, including courses from the master’s degree, and 24 hours of dissertation. 60 percent of the hours beyond the master’s work must be at the 800-900 level. Candidates must pass the comprehensive examination that will cover their major and minor fields. After the dissertation is completed, the student must defend the dissertation.
Areas of specialization:
- Materials Science and Engineering (including Composites; Nano- and Bio-Composites; Nanotechnology);
- Energy and Thermal-Fluid Sciences (including Alternative Fuels and Fuel Safety; Bio-Fluids and Bio-Heat Transfer; Computational Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer);
- Mechanical Systems Analysis and Design (including Vehicle Crashworthiness and Impact Dynamics; Mechanical Design); and
- Robotics and Control (including biosensors and biomedical devices; non-linear control).