- Have a bachelor’s degree in any field of natural sciences.
- A bachelor’s degree outside the field of natural sciences are also encouraged to apply for conditional admission.
- Meet the general admission requirements of the Graduate School.
- TOEFL score of 550 (PBT) or a 79 on the iBT or higher.
- A minimum overall band score of 6.5 on the IELTS exam.
Thesis research is recommended for students who will pursue PhD study or seek professional employment after graduation. Students choosing thesis research must present a research proposal to the EEPS faculty to ensure that the research has merit and can be completed in a reasonable period of time. After completing the written thesis, the student must give a public oral defense of it. A total of 30 credit hours is required, of which a maximum of 6 thesis credit hours can be counted toward the degree.
Students wishing to gain interdisciplinary and/or professional skills in the fields covered by the EEPS program can participate in applied and/or basic research internship projects with industry or government agencies. Enrollment in internship projects requires an approved proposal. Completion of an internship for graduation requires a formal oral presentation of the internship activity and a written report. A total of 33 credit hours is required, of which a maximum of 6 internship credit hours can be counted toward the degree.
This option is an alternative to thesis research or internship for degree requirements. Two plans of study are available under this option:
- Plan A – students are not required to take research courses, and a total of 36 credit hours is required. This plan is recommended for students who do not desire a career in industry or post-secondary education.
- Plan B – students are required to take research courses and conduct research under the supervision of an EEPS faculty member. A faculty-reviewed, final report is required. A total of 33 credit hours is required, of which a maximum of three research credit hours can be counted toward the degree.