- Completion of a Bachelor of Music Education (BME) degree, or the equivalent of a BME, from an accredited institution.
- Students holding bachelor’s degrees in music other than the Bachelor of Music Education must satisfy public school certification requirements to qualify for full admission.
Note: Applicants without such certification mentioned above are admitted on a conditional basis pending their attainment of public school teaching credentials. Approval of the MME specialization must be acquired.
Core Courses - 15 Hrs
Required for all MME concentrations
- Introduction to Bibliography and Research
- Psychology of Music
- Research Methods and Design
- History and Philosophy of Music Education
- Seminar in Music Theory
- Music History (Choose from the following:
Emphasis Area – 6 to 10 Hrs
- Courses associated with one or more emphasis areas within the degree. See reverse side for required courses within each emphasis to be chosen with advisor’s approval.
Electives – 5-9 Hrs
- Other courses are selected in consultation with the advisor and with the area director’s approval. Candidates may apply up to four hours of workshops; up to two hours of ensemble credits and up to five hours of applied lessons in their performance major. Up to 10 hours of Kodály coursework may be used as electives.
Terminal Project Options 2- 6 Hrs
- Thesis Research
- Terminal project
- Graduate Recital