About this course
Virginia College’s Pastry Arts diploma program is designed to provide students with a diversified education in pastry preparation. This program provides hands-on, realistic training, as well as providing learning experiences that offer students a solid background of practical training in pastry arts.
The program provides students with instruction in fundamental, intermediate, and advanced pastry arts, as well as a hands-on externship under the direction of industry professionals. This comprehensive training provides graduates with the fundamental skills necessary to adapt to the culinary career path they choose to follow.
Upon successful graduation from this program, graduates should be able to:
- interpret the hospitality/food service industry and career opportunities in the field;
- establish and maintain high standards of personal and industry sanitation and safety;
- produce high quality food products using appropriate equipment;
- demonstrate professional standards in personal appearance and ethical behavior;
- demonstrate proper techniques in cooking to produce high quality products;
- apply nutrition principles to menu planning and food production for a variety of customers;
- assess the origin of various cuisines and their relationship to history and cultural developments;
- analyze the workings of the pastry and baking sector of culinary arts; and
- coordinate a job search.