- Must hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally- accredited institution.
- Minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on 4.0 scale calculated on all attempted coursework.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA in all college-level History courses, with no grade below a "C" in a History course.
- Minimum of 15 semester hours credit in upper-level (3000 or above) History courses.
- Applicants whose first language is not English (based on country of citizenship) must submit official scores on the TOEFL exam.
* International applicants whose first language is not English but who have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a U.S. institution may be exempt from the TOEFL requirement.
Thesis students must pass a comprehensive written and oral examination.
Thesis students must pass a reading knowledge examination in a foreign language
In the thesis-option, a grade of "B" or better in a fourth sequence course in a foreign language may be accepted in lieu of a reading examination.