About Susquehanna University
We opened on Sept. 1, 1858, as The Missionary Institute of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. Our sister school was known as the Susquehanna Female College.
Benjamin Kurtz was the first president, and the school had two departments: theology and classical. We became co-educational when, in 1872, the Susquehanna Female College closed and some of its students enrolled at the Missionary Institute.
In 1895, we officially became Susquehanna University.
During the 20th century, we transformed into a four-year university offering a range of bachelor's degrees for students. In 1903, the school adopted the colors orange and maroon.