About this course
Stanford University's MLA Program offers an extraordinary opportunity to pursue an interdisciplinary course of study in the liberal arts and to earn your master's degree at one of the world's great centers of learning. Students in the MLA Program complete a minimum of 50 units of coursework, exploring a range of subjects rather than focusing narrowly on a single topic. This approach provides the broad perspective that leads to an interdisciplinary Master's Thesis, an in-depth study of a single subject, which serves as the culmination of graduate study. Students have a minimum of four years and maximum of five years to complete the program.
- Applicants must hold, or expect to hold before enrollment at Stanford, a bachelor’s degree from a U.S. college or university accredited by a regional accrediting association.
- Applicants from institutions outside the US must hold the equivalent of a US bachelor’s degree from a college or university of recognized standing.
- Britain: British patterned education – bachelor’s degree with honors.
- France: Diplome d’Ingenieur from grandes écoles or completion of two years of classes préparatoires aux grandes écoles (CPGE) and two years of course work toward the Diplome d’Ingenieur degree. Maitrise from universities.
- Germany: The diplom, magister artium (M.A.) or staatsexamen. Three-year Bologna compliant bachelor’s degree accepted.
- Other European countries University degree requiring four years of study. Three-year Bologna compliant bachelor's degree accepted.
- Middle East: University degree requiring four years of study.
- Canada: Three-year bachelor’s degree from Quebec, four-year bachelor’s degree from other provinces.
- Latin America: University degree requiring four years of study.
- India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal: Bachelor’s degree in engineering or medicine, master’s degree in all other fields. (Note: A three-year bachelor’s degree in any subject is not considered sufficient for graduate study at Stanford. The two-year master’s degree following the three-year bachelor’s degree from India is required.)
- Philippines: Four-year bachelor’s degree.
- Russian republics: University diploma requiring four years of study. Three-year Bologna compliant bachelor’s degree accepted (requires the Diploma Supplement issued in accordance to the Bologna Declaration).
- Other Asian countries: University degree requiring four years of study.