About this course
The New York Film Academy Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Photography is an accelerated, conservatory based graduate program designed for full time study over the course of four semesters. The New York Film Academy provides a creative setting with which to develop, challenge and inspire the talents of prospective photographers in a totally immersive, professional environment. By combining seminars and lectures with intense, hands-on classes, students acquire a sound understanding and appreciation of still photography and learn to integrate knowledge and professional experience.
Candidates for the MFA degree must complete 60 credits and maintain a minimum of a 3.0 GPA and produce a successful thesis project to be eligible for degree conferral.
At NYFA, students engage with a diverse international student body and a core faculty of working professionals. The MFA in Photography includes visits to museums, galleries and studios along with guest lectures and critiques by photographers, artists and curators. The photography department embraces all lens-based media, offering a unique curriculum that includes digital and film-based photography. After the first year, students personalize their own programs with a variety of electives.
Upon graduation of the MFA in Photography Program, students will demonstrate:
- Comprehensive knowledge of digital and film cameras and optics from 35mm to large format.
- In-depth experience with a wide range of digital and photochemical image creation, processing and printing techniques.
- Expertise in contemporary business practices.
- A comprehensive awareness of and expertise with lighting.
- Mastery of Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the history of photography, aesthetics and technology.
- Comprehension of advanced aesthetic and technical theories of photography and experience with their practical application.
- The ability to work independently and collaboratively in a high-pressure creative environment.
- Technical excellence and conceptual depth in the production of their final graduation exhibition work and portfolio of images.
- The ability to articulate in verbal and written form the key technical, formal and conceptual ideas in their creative work and the work of others.
*New York Film Academy MFA in Photography program is offered at our Los Angeles & South Beach, Florida Campus.
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree from a post-secondary institution recognized by the United States Department of Education or a college or university outside of the U.S. that is recognized as a degree-granting institution by their respective governments.
English Language Requirements:
- A TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 550 or higher (213 for computer-based test or 79 for internet-based test); IELTS 6.5 or the equivalent.
- A report from a valid English Language School verifying completion of course level equivalent to a 550 Paper-based TOEFL Score.
- In the case that the documentation is not available, a New York Film Academy representative will use a phone or in-person interview as an opportunity to determine whether or not the applicant has the necessary English language proficiency.