- A Master of Science in Nursing from a CCNE or NLN-accredited program.
- A minimum grade-point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for the last 30 hours of graduate course work or the last 60 hours of undergraduate work.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores submitted to the Illinois State Office of Admissions as indicated on the graduate application. The GRE is waived for students with a grade point average of 3.4 or higher in the last 60 semester hours of undergraduate course work or 30 hours of graduate course work.
- "A master's level statistics course is a prerequisite requirement for PhD program doctoral level statistics course sequence. Applicants must either take and pass a placement examination, or complete this course during the first summer semester of the PhD program."
- Official documentation of a minimum TOEFL score: 79 – internet-based testing, 213 – computer-based testing, 550 – paper-based testing Official academic records (one in English and one in the native language), verified with fresh seals and signatures, sent directly from each college or university attended.
7 core courses are required for a total of 21 credit hours.
- Philosophy of Science
- Theoretical Basis of Nursing Research
- Quantitative Research Design
- Qualitative Research Design
- Introduction to Nursing Informatics
- Health Policy Ethical, Legal & Professional Issues in Research
In addition, all students must attend Research Colloquium.
Focal Area Courses
4 focal area courses are required for a total of 12 credit hours.
- Biopsychological Research with Aging Individuals
- Sociocultural Research with Aging Persons in Families and Communities
- Research in Aging with Vulnerable Populations
- Residency in Research with Aging Adults
Statistical Methods Sequence
3 statistical methods courses are required for a total of 9 credit hours.
- Statistical Methods I
- Statistical Methods II
- Statistical Methods III
9 credit hours of cognate courses are required. The number of courses varies and will be selected in coordination with your faculty advisor