About this course
The Master of Arts in English is designed to provide a broad background in English literatures and to introduce students to methods of critical analysis and scholarly technique. The department welcomes students interested in preparing themselves for doctoral programs, teachers intent on deepening their understanding of literature, and persons eager to enrich their lives through reading and writing. The program cultivates broad reading, rigorous analysis of texts, and extended writing informed by research. It includes coursework spanning a range of historical periods from the medieval to the present.
We invite applicants from any accredited college or university who wish to pursue graduate studies in English, American, and Anglophone literatures. Applicants to the programs usually have taken at least six upper division undergraduate courses in English, American, and world literature. For application we require:
- A completed application.
- Transcripts from previous institutions.
- Two current letters of recommendation with recommendation cover sheet.
- A statement of purpose outlining the applicant’s vocational aims and reasons for undertaking graduate studies in English.
- A sample of critical writing.
- The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) only for those applying for graduate assistantships.
- The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) only for international students.