Admission requirements for freshmen are listed below:
- Official certificate of graduation (or its equivalent) from an accredited secondary school and a satisfactory scholastic record.
- Fifteen acceptable units of secondary school credit, including in English, four course units emphasizing grammar, composition, and literature; in mathematics, four course units including algebra I, algebra II, geometry and a higher level mathematics course for which algebra II is a prerequisite (fourth unit of mathematics is required of students graduating high school in 2006 and later); in science, three course units, including at least one unit in a life or biological science (for example, biology), at least one unit in a physical science (for example, physical science, chemistry, physics), and at least one other laboratory science course; in foreign language, two course units in same language (two units in foreign language are required of students graduating high school in 2004 and later); and in social studies, two course units, including one unit in US history.
East Carolina University recommends that prospective students complete at least one course unit in the arts. Admission to the university does not guarantee admission to individual programs; individual program admission requirements are described in the specific academic sections.
- Satisfactory scores on the Scholastic Aptitude Test or American College Test . Registration forms for either of these examinations are available online and at individual high schools. Official scores must be sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, East Carolina University prior to admission.
- A nondeductible, nonrefundable application fee of $70.
General admission requirements for transfer students are listed below:
- Official transcript(s) from each regionally accredited college, technical institute, or university previously attended showing the following:
- A 2.5 grade point average (GPA) on all transferable hours attempted. (Some professional schools may require a GPA which is higher than that required by the university for admission to their programs.) A minimum of 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) is required for transfer consideration which must include the equivalent college credit hours for ECU’s English 1100, English 1200 and Math 1066 (College Algebra).
- Honorable dismissal and eligibility to return to the college or university at which last matriculated. (Attendance only at summer school does not apply.)
- Students who will be 24 years old at the time they propose to enroll may submit their application for transfer admission, with 30 or more transferable hours from a regionally accredited institution are not required to provide a high school transcript or general educational development tests (GED) certificate.
- Nondeductible, nonrefundable application fee of $70.
Admission to the university does not guarantee admission to individual programs. Individual program admission requirements are described in the specific academic sections. It is the student’s responsibility to request that all transcripts and other records be forwarded to the admissions office.
Note: Transfer students must meet the University of North Carolina subject matter admission requirements by completing high school courses as stated above, or by completing 6 degree-creditable semester hours each in English, mathematics, science, foreign language, and social sciences at a regionally-accredited institution other than East Carolina University. Those graduating from high school in 2004 and later must also have 6 hours of foreign language to satisfy the MCR requirements. (See Admission Requirements, Freshmen.) In addition, those who present fewer than 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) of transferable credits with a minimum GPA of 2.5 must have satisfactory high school grades and test scores as required for freshman candidates.
- Foundations curriculum requirements including those listed below - 42 s.h.
- COMM 2020. Fundamentals of Speech Communication (3) (F,S) (FC:FA) or COMM 2420. Business and Professional Communication (3) (F,S,SS) (FC:FA)
- ECON 2113. Principles of Microeconomics (3) (F,S,SS) (FC:SO)
- ECON 2133. Principles of Macroeconomics (3) (F,S,SS) (FC:SO) (P: ECON 2113)
- MATH 1066. Applied Mathematics for Decision Making (3) (F,S,SS) (FC:MA) (P: Appropriate score on mathematics placement test or approval of dept chair)
- PHIL 2274. Business Ethics (3) (WI*) (F,S,SS) (FC:HU) or PHIL 2275. Professional Ethics (3) (WI*) (F,S,SS) (FC:HU)
- PSYC 1000. Introductory Psychology (3) (F,S,SS) (FC:SO)
- SOCI 2110. Introduction to Sociology (3) (F,S,SS) (FC:SO)
- Cognates - 6 s.h.
- ENGL 3880. Writing for Business and Industry (3) (WI) (F,S,SS) (P: ENGL 1200)
- MATH 2283. Statistics for Business (3) (F,S,SS) (P: MATH 1065 or 1066 or equivalent)
- Business core - 36 s.h.
- ACCT 2401. Financial Accounting (3) (F,S,SS) (P: MATH 1065 or 1066 or 2119 or 2121 or 2171)
- ACCT 2521. Managerial Accounting (3) (F,S,SS) (P: ACCT 2401)
- FINA 2244. Legal Environment of Business (3) (F,S,SS)
- FINA 3724. Financial Management (3) (F,S,SS) (P: ECON 2113; MATH 2283; P/C: ACCT 2521)
- MGMT 3302. Management of Organizations (3) (F,S,SS) (P: ECON 2113, 2133; ACCT 2401)
- MGMT 4842. Strategic Management (3) (WI) (F,S,SS) (P: OMGT 3123; FINA 3724; MKTG 3832; MGMT 3302; declared concentration in the College of Business; senior standing)
- MIS 2223. Introduction to Computers (3) (F,S,SS)
- MIS 3063. Introduction to Management Information Systems (3) (F,S,SS) (P: MIS 2223)
- MKTG 3832. Marketing Management (3) (F,S,SS) (P: ECON 2113)
- OMGT 3123. Operations and Supply Chain Management (3) (F,S,SS) (P: MATH 2228 or 2283; MIS 2223)
- OMGT 3223. Business Decision Modeling (3) (F,S,SS) (P: Minimum grade of C (2.0) in MIS 2223, MATH 1066 or 2119 or 2121 or 2171, 2283)
- Choose one international perspectives course from:
- ACCT 4451. International Accounting (3) (P: FINA 3724)
- FINA 4454. International Finance (4) (S) (P: FINA 3724)
- MGMT 3352. International Business (3) (F,S,SS) (P: MGMT 3302)
- MKTG 3852. Cultural Environment of International Business (3) (F,S) (P: Junior standing; completion of a minimum of 3 s.h. in ECON [may be specified by dept])
- MKTG 4992. International Marketing (3) (WI) (F) (P: MKTG 3832)
- Concentration area - 18 s.h.
- Management Information Systems:
- MIS 3673. Software Design and Development (3) (F,S) (P: MIS 3063)
- MIS 4113. Data Base Management Systems (3) (F,S) (P: MIS 3063)
- MIS 4123. Telecommunications and Networked Systems (3) (F,S) (P: MIS 3063)
- MIS 4153. Web Application Development for Business (3) (F,S) (P: MIS 3063)
- MIS 4163. Information Systems Analysis and Design (3) (F,S) (P: MIS 3063)
- MIS 4173. Information Systems Development and Implementation (3) (F,S) (P: MIS 4163; P/C: MIS 3673)