About this course
The Master of Arts in Education (MAE), grounded in the college’s mission, is dedicated to enhancing and improving the skills, knowledge, attitudes, and competencies of current and future professionals in the fields of education and sport coaching. We are committed to preparing lifelong professionals in theory and research, becoming reflective facilitators of learning, and as competent leaders in creating a community of learners in diverse learning environments.
The Sport Coaching Concentration is designed for leaders in school sport, club sports and camps, and other physical activity delivery systems (athletic leagues, YMCA, parks and recreation, etc.). This program offers graduate candidates a strong background in the academic areas that inform effective and positive coaching. The framework is that coaches are teachers foremost, and that learning to coach is an on-going, lifelong pursuit. The research and theory examined and critically considered in the program provides graduate candidates with the tools and skills to successfully pursue this very important work of committing to reflective practice as a sport coach.
- Have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 and above.
- Complete the entire application form on-line. By applying on-line, the $25.00 application fee is waived.
- Submit an official college transcript(s). If you are a Defiance College graduate, a transcript will be obtained by the Office of Graduate Studies & Professional Development.
- Submit a copy of valid teaching credentials/licenses for the Reading Endorsement Program.
- Submit two letters of recommendation, including one from your immediate supervisor. The letters must attest to academic competence and to your ability to work with people and demonstrate appropriate interpersonal and social skills.
- Submit a Goal Statement outlining the purpose for pursuing a Graduate degree in Education. The statement should be at least two typed, double-spaced pages, and represent your best writing skills.