- Have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 and above.
- Complete the entire application form on-line. By applying on-line, the $25.00 application fee is waived.
- Submit an official college transcript(s). If you are a Defiance College graduate, a transcript will be obtained by the Office of Graduate Studies & Professional Development.
- Submit a copy of valid teaching credentials/licenses for the Reading Endorsement Program.
- Submit two letters of recommendation, including one from your immediate supervisor. The letters must attest to academic competence and to your ability to work with people and demonstrate appropriate interpersonal and social skills.
- Submit a Goal Statement outlining the purpose for pursuing a Graduate degree in Education. The statement should be at least two typed, double-spaced pages, and represent your best writing skills.
Graduate students interested in pursuing the reading endorsement program must also meet minimum admission requirements for the Teacher Education Program before they may enroll in any course designated as methods or begin the reading endorsement program. These requirements are outlined below.
To be admitted to the Teacher Education program, a graduate level candidate must:
- Possess a current (less than 365 days old) Federal and Ohio criminal background check that reveals no arrests or convictions that would preclude the candidate from obtaining a teaching license in Ohio.
- Have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Submit a minimum of three satisfactory recommendations. Two from college faculty and one from someone who has witnessed the candidate working with K-12 students.
- Philosophy of Education and Educational Ethics
- Advanced Educational Psychology
- Teacher Leadership
- Contemporary Instructional Perspectives
- Instructional Strategies for Engaged Learning
- Multicultural Education
- Inquiry Methodology
- Master’s Project
Reading Endorsement (P-12)
- Reading and Writing in the Content Area
- Theory and Research in Reading and Literacy
- Multicultural Literature in P-12 Classrooms
- Clinical Practicum in Reading
- Reading Diagnosis and Remediation