About this course
The Visual Communications program offers two associate of applied science degrees: Graphic Design and Interactive Media. All students share a common course of study during the first two quarters, which includes general education as well as program classes. Before spring term of your first year, you will meet with your assigned faculty advisor to determine 2016–2017 Chemeketa Community College Catalog 145 your degree path. Students completing the program over a three-year period have the option of earning both degrees. (Check with the Financial Aid Office to see if this will work for you.) During the second year, students take either the required graphic design or interactive media courses and then come together during their final term for the capstone portfolio class and show. Students work closely together in all classes, sharing common studio space and computer lab facilities. Opportunities to work in traditional media alongside new media abound in both required and elective classes. As part of the program, all students develop skills in graphic design, web design, layout, typography, and digital media, as well as the teamwork, creative problem solving, and life-long learning skills essential to a successful creative career. Students produce a print and/or digital portfolio of work, including a personal stationery package and résumé, in preparation for entering the job market.
English language requirements:
- NO TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for admissions.
- Chemeketa offers comprehensive language and college level studies and can accept students at all levels.
- All students who enter Chemeketa will take required English and/or college placement tests during orientation.
- Test scores submitted during the admissions process are used for advising placement purposes only.
- This process provides the student with successful class selection.