About this course
The Ph.D. Program in Computational and Data Sciences offers an interdisciplinary and personalized course of study that emphasizes innovative research and applications of research. After completing a set of core courses teaching the basic methodologies and techniques of computational science, students will specialize in an area based on shared interests with one or more faculty mentors, culminating in a final dissertation of the student’s choice.
Since employers continue to seek computer professionals who can combine strong technical skills with good interpersonal and business skills, the Ph.D. in Computational and Data Sciences prepares students for employment in academia, scientific research laboratories, private industry and governmental agencies. In addition to organizations under the Departments of Interior such as BLM and USGS, the Doctorate in Computational and Data Sciences offers employment opportunities with NGOs and non-profit organizations, as well as manufacturing and private sector companies.
- Online application for admission (includes $60 non-refundable application fee)
- Official transcript from degree granting institution. A cumulative grade point average of 3.000 is required.
- Graduate Admission Test Scores – The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test scores are required and must have been taken within the last five years. Applicants must achieve the following minimum scores which are listed as previous version test scores and new version test scores:
- Verbal: 500/153
- Quantitative: 550/146
- Analytical Writing: 4.0/4.0
- Letters of recommendation – two letters of recommendation are required, including one from an academic source which describes your professional and academic abilities.
- Statement of Intent – a 750 word essay. Applicants are expected to address science topics they are interested in and how they envision applying computational science in those areas.
- Resume – a resume or curriculum vitae is required.
English Language Requirements:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 600 (PBT) or 100 (iBT)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 7.0
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic): 68
- Cambridge English Advanced Exam (CAE): Level C1