About this course
The Ph.D. in Musicology offers students a multitude of research opportunities. A faculty of active scholars, Latin American Center for Graduate Studies in Music, and proximity to such Washington institutions as the Library of Congress and the Smithsonian Institution provide the resources needed to become a 21st-century musical scholar.
- Four letters of recommendation are required, at least two of which should be from professors of music history, music theory, or other academic courses
- One substantial original research paper on any musical topic
- Students whose first language is not English must submit TOEFL results of 80 or higher (iBT test), (for paperbased test: 550 or higher; for computer-based test: 213 or higher), to be considered for admission. For the iBT test, at least 20 out of 30 in each of the subcategories is required.
- The M.A. in musicology or a comparable preparation
- Music history and music theory placement examinations
- A clear program of study in consultation with the adviser and dissertation major professor.
- A reading knowledge of French and German.