The criteria described here apply to applicants for all graduate degree programs. Applicants should consult specific degree program descriptions on this site for additional requirements and prerequisites. Bank Street College seeks applicants who demonstrate the following:
- A GPA of 3.0 (B average) or higher in an undergraduate degree from a nationally accredited college or university.
- An aptitude for completing graduate-level coursework and academic projects of substantial scope and depth, as well as a capacity for making positive contributions in their professional lives.
- Sensitivity to others, flexibility, self-awareness, and a willingness and capacity to engage in self-reflection.
- Positive interpersonal skills in relationships with both children and adults.
- A healthy motivation and commitment to learning and to children.
Additional Admissions Criteria for Programs Leading to Certification
Programs leading to initial certification in New York State require that applicants meet breadth and depth distribution in the liberal arts and sciences, including depth of at least ten courses in one liberal arts and science major or area of concentration. Students missing a course prerequisite will need to complete any undergraduate or graduate level course in the subject(s) required, as outlined in the acceptance letter, within their first year at Bank Street.
Programs leading only to professional certification require that applicants have, or be working toward, New York State initial certification. Those who hold certification from a state having reciprocity with New York need to apply for New York State certification when applying to this program.
- Candidates need to have, or be working toward, New York State initial certification in general education or in teaching students with disabilities at the early childhood level (birth through grade 2) or at the childhood level (grades 1-6).
- Those who hold certification from a state having reciprocity with New York need to apply for New York State certification when applying to this program. If you hold a certificate from another state, you can apply for New York certification through interstate reciprocity.
- Education classes
- Leadership Classes
- Integrative Master Project