About this course
The sports industry is truly dynamic with a high demand for qualified individuals within many disciplines such as coaching, team and personal performance enhancement as well as teaching. This course consists of the first two years of the BSc Sports and Exercise Performance degree, allowing students to graduate after only two years with a recognised qualification that lets them work in a wide range of sporting fields. Students may also choose to continue on to the third year of the BSc honours programme in order to obtain a full BSc honours degree.
The modules studied include human anatomy and physiology, psychology, coaching, biomechanics, nutrition, sports injury as well as fitness testing, providing a holistic view of the role sport plays within an active society. The course is aimed at providing students with a broad knowledge of the sports industry and combines both the essential theory, supplemented by strong practical experience. Furthermore, the course provides the opportunity to gain accredited coaching qualifications in each year of the programme increasing the employability of the student after graduation.
- UCAS Tariff Points: 180 - 240
- GCE A Levels: 180 UCAS tariff points, to include one GCE A level grade C or above
- Irish Certificate: 180 UCAS tariff points, to include 2 x ILC higher at B1
- Scottish Highers: 180 UCAS tariff points, to include 2 x higher at B
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma: MPP (160) in combination with other qualifications (180)
- BTEC Level 3 Diploma: MM (160) in combination with other qualifications (180)
- C & G Level 3 Extended Diploma: Pass (120) in combination with other qualifications (180)
- C & G Level 3 Diploma: Merit (160) in combination with other qualifications (180)
English language requirements
If you do not have English as a first language, you will normally be required to demonstrate an IELTS overall score (or equivalent) of:
- 5.5 with a minimum of 5.0 in all elements for a Further Education course
- 5.5 with a minimum of 5.0 in all elements for a Foundation degree, Higher Certificate or Higher Diploma
- 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in all elements for a degree
- 6.5 with a minimum of 5.5 in all elements for a postgraduate degree
If you have lower scores, you may be accepted onto a Pre-sessional English Language course, which can lead to entry to the appropriate programme of study.