Degree and/or experience:
- A good honours degree or equivalent, directly relevant to subject specialism.
- If you hold a good honours degree in a science subject, but with less than 50 per cent chemistry, you can undertake a Subject Knowledge Enhancement (Chemistry) programme before starting the PGCE, to develop your subject knowledge. Depending on your need and circumstances, you can choose either a 24, 20, 16, 12 or 8–week programme and take part either face to face at the university, or via distance learning with an additional 15 hours of laboratory work at the university.
- Minimum grade C in English language and mathematics. In-house equivalence tests are available for suitable candidates.
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate recent and relevant experience of children in secondary schools and understanding of what it is to be a teacher.
- All offers of places are subject to a satisfactory health check and a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) enhanced check.
- All applicants are required to attend an interview in person either at the Falmer campus or in one of our partner schools.
English Language Requirement:
- IELTS 7.0 in all elements.
Two-thirds of your year will be spent teaching, under supervision, in schools. Our tutors and mentors will advise and support you throughout each placement. You will receive comprehensive feedback during this time, enabling you to see what you are doing well and where you might need to improve.
The university works in partnership with schools and colleges to provide a high quality programme of support, ensuring a sound relationship between theory and practice. You will benefit from undertaking two placements in two schools or colleges, with the opportunity to visit additional schools or colleges as part of the 'Peer Observation' programme.
The School of Education is excellently equipped with multimedia training materials, giving you the opportunity to develop your confidence and competence in the use of ICT. Our multimedia suites are regularly updated to keep up with technological advancements in classroom teaching provision.