Degree and/or experience:
- PGCE applicants must have an honours degree. Part-time applicants must also be working in the post-16 sector and would be expected to continue teaching for at least 50 hours a year within a post-compulsory education or training organisation concurrent with the course. Pre-service full-time applicants do not need teaching experience.
- Other industry experience relevant to their subject specialism is desirable.
GCSE (minimum grade C):
- Part-time in-service applicants are advised to have either GCSE English or an equivalent literacy qualification, or be able to demonstrate the ability to work at higher education level.
- Full-time pre-service applicants must have GCSE maths and English language at grade C or above or equivalent.
English Language Requirement:
- IELTS 7.0 in all elements.
The programme is delivered through seven modules on generic teaching and learning issues relevant to the post-compulsory sector, and reflecting the key areas identified in the new standards. It is endorsed under the Equipping our Teachers regulations 2007 originally managed by the Standards Verification UK (SVUK) but now under the control of the Institute for Learning (IfL). It meets the new Professional Standards for Teachers, Trainers and Tutors in the Lifelong Learning (post-compulsory) sector.