About this course
The Further Education and Teaching PGCE provides a formal teaching qualification for people working, or wishing to work, in the further education sector. This could include a college of further education, a sixth form college or an organisation such as a private training company.
The programme has an excellent reputation and in 2007 we became the first post-compulsory teacher education provider in the country to be awarded an Ofsted Grade 1.
It comprises a partnership stretching across Sussex that includes full-time courses at the university and Northbrook College and part-time courses at City College Brighton, Sussex Downs College in Lewes and Eastbourne and Sussex Coast College in Hastings
If you already hold a degree, it is anticipated that you will graduate with a Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE), and there may also be an opportunity to gain masters-level credits. Applicants without a first degree will graduate with a Certificate in Education.
Degree and/or experience:
- PGCE applicants must have an honours degree. Part-time applicants must also be working in the post-16 sector and would be expected to continue teaching for at least 50 hours a year within a post-compulsory education or training organisation concurrent with the course. Pre-service full-time applicants do not need teaching experience.
- Other industry experience relevant to their subject specialism is desirable.
GCSE (minimum grade C):
- Part-time in-service applicants are advised to have either GCSE English or an equivalent literacy qualification, or be able to demonstrate the ability to work at higher education level.
- Full-time pre-service applicants must have GCSE maths and English language at grade C or above or equivalent.
English Language Requirement:
- IELTS 7.0 in all elements.