About this course
This Level 7 course is for social workers, occupational therapists, nurses and psychologists who are working in the mental health services and looking for approval by a local authority to practise as an Approved Mental Health Professional (AMHP).
This is a specific, legally defined role under the Mental Health Act 2007 that qualifies you to assess whether there are grounds to detain mentally disordered individuals, a responsibility that used to be the preserve of social workers but that has now been opened up to other mental health professionals.
The course operates in close partnership with four local authorities: Brighton & Hove City Council, East Sussex County Council, West Sussex County Council and Surrey County Council. Applicants from other local authorities or NHS Mental Health Trusts are also welcome. If you are an independent (ie non-seconded) applicant, you must have a written agreement from a local authority or NHS trust saying that they will provide and assess your AMHP placement.
Note: The fees for the Approved Mental Health Practice PGDip are charged according to module. In 2014, the cost is £554 per 20-credit module and £1,108 per 40-credit module.
- Have a first degree, or demonstrate ability to study at Level 7
- Hold a recognised professional qualification in social work, nursing, occupational therapy or psychology
- Have current registration with the appropriate professional statutory body (NMC; HCPC; BPS) as either a social worker, a nurse, an occupational therapist or a psychologist
- Be engaged in complex professional practice in mental health services for a minimum of 15 hours per week
- EITHER be nominated by a local authority or other employer who will facilitate relevant, required practice, supervision and assessment of practice to meet course assessment requirements; OR, if an independent practitioner, have written agreement before the start of the course of a local authority or health trust who will provide within their organisation the practice, supervision and assessment of practice by a suitably qualified and experienced person as agreed by the course team.
- All applicants are required to attend an interview as part of the admissions process.
- Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) will be considered, in line with our APL regulations.