About this course
This is a full-time pre-service teacher training course leading to a professional qualification for teaching in Further Education colleges and adult education and a wide range of other training and educational settings outside the schools sector. This means that you dont need any teaching experience to start the course.
This course will benefit you because:
* Centre for Excellence in Teacher Training in the sector only one of eight in England
* Gain a University qualification and a professional award
* Excellent employment and further study outcomes
* Interesting and valuable placements
* Excellent staff research profile
* Research-led teaching
* Staff write texts for the sector teacher training, creativity in teaching
* Ofsted inspected
* Second in the Guardian league tables for Education
At the University of Huddersfield we have been training people to work in these areas since 1947.We are a member of HUDCETT, one of only eight designated centres for excellence in teacher training. If you are interested in teaching in the lifelong learning sector, our courses enable you to develop your teaching skills, reflect on current ideas about education and training, and explore the professional educational and training opportunities open to you. It is not designed to train teachers for the school sector and does not confer Qualified Teacher Status; however it provides a route to Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS).
The awards are Standards Verification UK endorsed and Higher Education Academy accredited. If you have appropriate experience you may be able to gain the associated standards whilst completing the course.
For further information about careers in these sectors visit:
www.careersadvice.direct.gov.uk, search for 'Further education teacher' or 'Skills for life teacher'
www.prospects.ac.uk, search for 'Teacher training: training for post-16'
www.ifl.ac.uk, the Institute for Learning
www.hea.ac.uk, the Higher Education Academy
We aim to equip you with the
-confidence and practical skills necessary to manage a variety of learning situations
-knowledge and understanding needed to appreciate the place of your skills in the general context of the lifelong learning sector
-ability to identify your present and future needs for professional development
-ability to play a full part in the administrative and curriculum development activities of colleges or training organisations.
More generally, we aim to produce teachers who are flexible and innovative, who can work as members of interdisciplinary teams and who have a deep interest in the academic and pastoral well-being of their students.
The course at Huddersfield is organised into subject groups as follows:
- Art and Design
- Business, Law, Recreation and Leisure, Travel and Tourism, Retail
- Construction, Engineering, Hair and Beauty, Hospitality and Catering
- Early Years, Health, Social Care, Public Services, Sports Science, Animal Care
- English, Communication, Media Studies and Performing Arts
- Skills for Life (ESOL, Learning Disabilities and Difficulties, Literacy and Numeracy)
- Mathematics, Multimedia (including Music Technology) and Information Communication Technology
- Social Sciences and Humanities
No teaching experience is needed.
- UK degree or equivalent related to your specialist area.
- Relevant work experience in some specialist subject areas
- Satisfactory interview and two satisfactory references
- Criminal Records Bureau and health checks for suitability to teach/train (carried out by the University before you start the course).
We particularly welcome applicants from ethnic minorities and people with disabilities.
You will be offered a place on the Professional Graduate Certificate of Education. During the first few weeks of the course, you may be offered, for suitably qualified candidates, the chance to complete the Postgraduate Certificate of Education, which includes modules at Master's level. This will be clarified during the application and interview process.
Let's see what you may also consider
University Of WorcesterUnited Kingdom
University Of WorcesterUnited Kingdom