- Qualifications equivalent to our standard entry requirements.
- We require Grade A in English Literature
- We require a Grade A* in any subject
- IELTS of 6.5 (no component under 6.0);
- TOEFL iBT 92 (no component under 23);Cambridge Proficiency (CPE) Grade C; or Cambridge Advanced (CAE) Grade A.
- Introduction to Drama
- Introduction to Poetry
- Introduction to the Novel
Optional Modules (choose 3)
- The Age of Chivalry
- The Heroic Age
- Classical and Biblical Background to English Literature
- The English Language and its History
- Medieval Literature
- Old English
- Old Norse
- Old French
- Renaissance Literature
- Restoration & Eighteenth Century Literature
- Literature of the Romantic Period
- Victorian Literature
- Literature of the Modern Period
- Post-War Fiction and Poetry
- American Fiction
- American Poetry
The final year includes a compulsory 12,000- word Dissertation on a subject of the student’s choice related to English literature.
Through the Dissertation, they will engage in an area of research through self-formulated questions, supported by the gathering of relevant information and materials and organised lines of enquiry resulting in work of sustained argumentative and analytic power.