Master of Professional Studies in Teaching Chinese in Schools

University of Auckland
Auckland, New Zealand
Master's Degree
Study mode
Full-time, Part-time
1 year
Contact the university / college
Total tuition fee (local)
USD 6,784
Total tuition fee (foreign)
USD 22,130

About this course

This programme is a new specialist qualification for qualified teachers who teach Chinese in schools at an HSK Level 5 or its equivalent. The aim of this programme is to provide them with with the opportunity to engage in practise-based inquiry and research opportunities with leading academics that support improvements in language learning outcomes for students.

Entry Requirements

In order to be admitted to this programme, a student needs to have completed either:

  • the requirements for a four-year Bachelors degree
  • the requirements for a Bachelors (Honours) degree
  • the requirements for a Bachelors degree


(i) to enrol in the Education or Mathematics Education or Teaching Chinese in Schools specialisations, a professional qualification in Education equivalent to one year's advanced study, or
(ii) to enrol in a specialisation other than Education or Mathematics Education, either a professional qualification equivalent to one year’s advanced study or at least three years of professional experience deemed relevant to this programme by Senate or its representative


  • to enrol in the Teaching Chinese in Schools specialisation, attained a proficiency level in Chinese of at least HSK Level 5 or its equivalent


  • any prerequisites for the courses in the subject area in which they wish to enrol


Taught Masters - 120 points from the following:

Semester 1

  • Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language 1 (15 pts)
  • Chinese Pedagogical Grammar 1 (15 pts)
  • Directed Study (15 pts)

Semester 2

  • Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language 2 (15 pts)
  • Chinese Pedagogical Grammar 2 (15 pts)
  • Directed Study (15 pts)
  • Researching Practice in the Second Language School Classroom (30 pts)
  • Practitioner Inquiry (30 pts)

*For Special Study, contact the Student Centre

Share this