About this course
This programme provides you with a strong grounding in multi-media journalism expected by the industry. The close involvement of The Southland Times and other newspapers who employ staff with entry level journalism qualifications means students have excellent prospects for employment in journalism or related careers.
Graduates are equipped with the broad knowledge and skills to produce text, graphics and photographic material to present stories in a variety of media including for print and internet publication. They are familiar with cultural and ethical considerations expected of journalists within the media industry, as well as etiquette for court and related reporting. This programme leads to a range of news reporting and journalism related careers or to further study.
- All applicants should demonstrate a keen interest in journalism and have academic attributes which indicate they have a reasonable likelihood of successful completion of the programme.
- Applicants should be a minimum of 18 years of age, with a minimum of four years secondary education.
- Applicants may be required to complete basic tests in current affairs, grammar and spelling, and may be advised to submit a portfolio of published work or samples of writing.
- Applicants may be required to participate in an interview where they are expected to demonstrate a realistic understanding of journalism as a craft and career choice, a broad general knowledge and the maturity, personal and academic attributes to undertake the course with a reasonable likelihood of success.
- School leavers should have attained a minimum of 12 NCEA credits at Level 2 or above in each of four subjects with 18 credits or more in literacy Level 2 or above.
- For mature students the entry requirements listed above may be applicable. Applicants over 20 years of age with relevant experience and aptitude that indicates a reasonable likelihood of successful completion of the programme.
- Complete Certificate or Diploma at Level 5
- IELTS Score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5
Let's see what you may also consider
Waikato Institute of Technology (Wintec)New Zealand