Tuition fee (local)
Contact the university / college
Tuition fee (foreign)
- All applicants should demonstrate a keen interest in journalism and have academic attributes which indicate they have a reasonable likelihood of successful completion of the programme.
- Applicants should be a minimum of 18 years of age, with a minimum of four years secondary education.
- Applicants may be required to complete basic tests in current affairs, grammar and spelling, and may be advised to submit a portfolio of published work or samples of writing.
- Applicants may be required to participate in an interview where they are expected to demonstrate a realistic understanding of journalism as a craft and career choice, a broad general knowledge and the maturity, personal and academic attributes to undertake the course with a reasonable likelihood of success.
- School leavers should have attained a minimum of 12 NCEA credits at Level 2 or above in each of four subjects with 18 credits or more in literacy Level 2 or above.
- For mature students the entry requirements listed above may be applicable. Applicants over 20 years of age with relevant experience and aptitude that indicates a reasonable likelihood of successful completion of the programme.
- Complete Certificate or Diploma at Level 5
- IELTS Score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5
- Write shorthand at 80 wpm and transcribe to produce required information
- Gather and record information and plan news stories for publication and broadcast
- Write a variety of news stories for publication and broadcast
- Interpret and use numerical data to write news stories, and write instructions for the production of an infographic
- Write news stories from court and related activities, and demonstrate media law and ethics knowledge
- Demonstrate knowledge of current affairs, the role of the news media, and newsroom requirements
- Write news stories from local government activities for publication and broadcast
- Write a news feature on a topic relating to Māori for publication or broadcast
- Write a news feature about diversity in New Zealand's population
- Develop and write a feature article for publication
- Produce photographs and an internet slide show from news assignments for publication
- Subedit and lay out a page for publication
- Gather material from the internet and write news stories for publication on an internet news site