- Applicants should have at least a bachelor's degree or the equivalent in a discipline appropriate to the proposed area of study.
- The level of academic achievement in prior studies must be of a high standard.
- Other relevant activities including work experience will be taken into account in assessing applications.
English Language Requirements
- IELTS: 6.5 (no individual band below 6.0)
- IELTS: 7.0 (no individual band below 6.5) - Entry requirement for Master of Arts (TESOL)
- TOEFL: 575 / 90
The duration of study is two years full-time or equivalent part-time. Full-time students will undertake four units of study per semester or eight units per year whereas part-time students may take two units per semester. In the last semester, students will focus on carrying out their own original research.
Each semester consists of 12 weeks and there are two semesters per year. Each unit consists of three contact hours per week. In addition to formal class time, students are expected to participate in peer teaching sessions to give them an opportunity to experiment with language teaching techniques and critically evaluate them, as well as conduct real-life classroom teaching for relevant practical units.
- Phonology for English teachers
- Pedagogic Grammar of English
- Genre Studies
- Methods and Approaches of TESOL
- Theories and Practices (1): Listening and Speaking
- Theories and Practices (2): Reading and Writing
- English for Specific Purposes
- English for Academic Purposes
- Methods and Approaches to Language Research
- Issues in Applied Linguistics
- Assessment in TESOL
- World Englishes
- TESOL Research Project