About this course
The Master of Biotechnology Programme was established in 1989 to train graduates from disciplines ranging from biological sciences, chemical engineering and related medical sciences, for a career in the emerging field of biotechnology. The programme has been fine-tuned over the years to focus on the various new technology that will bring biotechnology research in Malaysia to the fore-front. The programme consists of two semesters of course-work followed by a short research project. Laboratory sessions form an important part of the coursework.
Master’s Admission Requirements
- A Bachelor’s Degree (Hons.) or its equivalent in the related field.
- Preference will be given to applicants having a Bachelor’s Degree with CGPA 3.0 and above or its equivalent, or second class honors from a recognized university.
- Applicants having a Bachelor’s Degree with CGPA 3.7 and above can apply directly for the PhD programme.
PhD Admission Requirements
- A Master’s Degree or its equivalent in the related field.
- Have at least IELTS Band 6 or TOEFL 550 if their first degree is from a university where English is not the medium of instruction.
- Or Pass an English proficiency test approved by the University.
- Bahasa Malaysia for Foreigners
- All foreign candidates of higher degree are required to attend and pass the Bahasa Malaysia course run by the Faculty of Languages and Linguistics before the conferment of their Masters degree
- Candidates are exempt from the course if they have obtained a pass grade in:
- the Malaysian Certificate of Education level
- Level III of the Bahasa Malaysia Proficiency Certificate
- Level III of the University’s Intensive Bahasa Malaysia Certificate
- Or equivalent