About this course
In this course, Year 1 provides a structure for learning the major principles of animation. Students will explore a range of techniques involving 2D and CG elements. Semester 2 builds on the principles of Animation with further development.
Year 2 involves the development of characters in greater depth. This includes enhancing audio dialogue and body gesture, an introduction to action integration, and advanced lighting and camera work for greater shot composition; as well as model making as a core module with a focus on set building. Students will also have the option of studying experimental animation.
In Year 3 students will be expected to produce a series of short animations which display excellent performance-based animation. Emphasis is placed on professional practice in preparation for graduation and greater employment prospects through animation.
- Route 1: Entry to Year 1 Degree
- Successful completion of STPM with 2 full passes or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.0 and completion of SPM or equivalent; or
- Successful completion of A-Level with at least a pass in 2 subjects and successful completion of O-Level or equivalent; or
- Recognised Matriculation or foundation with CGPA 2.0; or
- A qualification that APIIT accepts as equivalent to the above.
All students must demonstrate that they have met the equivalent of IELTS 6.0 either through formal English language assessment or through success in prior study at “A” level or equivalent in English.
- You will be required to create a storyboard of “Thinking Outside of the Box”. You should imagine a matchbox and a single match next to it. Visualize how the match gets back in the box. The match is a character that has a need to get back into the box for a reason.
- Route 2: Direct Entry to Year 2 Degree
- Successful completion of the relevant APIIT Diploma, or
- Successful completion of study in another recognised institution with academic credits equivalent to Year 1 of an honours degree in relevant subjects
- Animation Fundamentals I
- Animation Fundamentals II
- Animation Fundamentals III
- Animation Fundamentals IV
- Applied Timing I
- Applied Timing II
- Cinema Film Analysis
- Sculpture for Animation
- Introduction to Graphic Design
- Animation Debates
- Audio, Sound and Score for Animation I
- Audio, Sound and Score for Animation II
- Character Animation Implementation I
- Character Animation Implementation II
- Film Shorts & Stings I
- Film Shorts & Stings II
- From Script to Screen
- Creative Practice
- Animation Futures
- Design Project Report
- Final Major signature Projects I
- Final Major signature Projects II
- Final Major signature Projects III
- Individual Animation Project I
- Individual Animation Project II