About this course
The four year Bachelor of Education imparts conceptual, practical and professional knowledge in the essential fields of school curriculum, pedagogy and child development, as well as scientific knowledge in a wide range of subject area content, preparing students to become highly qualified and skilled teachers. Developing professional integrity, an appreciation and respect for diversity and ethical attitudes are the core values of the programme.
The programme offers Kindergarten, Primary, Secondary English, Secondary Portuguese and Secondary Religious Education specialisations. The medium of instruction is English, with the exception of language modules. The specialisation modules in Kindergarten and Primary are taught in Chinese. For these two specialisations fluency in spoken and written Chinese is required. English or Portuguese proficiency of at least B1 level is required for the specialisations in English and Portuguese respectively. Teaching practicums make part of the programme during the third and four year of study.
- Applicants must possess a secondary school diploma that represents the successful completion of 12 years of schooling, or its equivalent, (applicants aged 25, or above, may be exempted from this requirement).
- Bachelor applicants must be currently enrolled, or have completed, Form 6 / Senior Middle Three / Grade 12 students and be aged 17, or above, at the expected time of enrolment into USJ.
- Applicants must also demonstrate adequate English proficiency.
- Selected applicants may be required to complete an English test and an admission interview.
- Other tests (e.g. essays or group dynamics and other language placement tests) may be requested of applicants, depending on the selected programme.