About this course
The course provides the student the necessary tools to deal with the practical problems of managing development programs and projects: an introduction to theory for embedding them in a wider context, an interdisciplinary approach to methodology based on case studies for concrete analysis and the application of theoretical and methodological knowledge.
This degree programme is unique, because the innovative character of the IEE degree is not only the spectrum of methods that it offers to the student but also its practical orientation throughout the programme; students are confronted with the practical problems of planning, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects.
Those who wish to enrol in this degree programme, have a high affinity for development related topics and first experience in the field of developmental coopertion - either via two years working experience or via relevant internships or voluntary work, enjoy an international, intercultural and interdisciplinary programme that requires an open mind and tolerance towards the reality of international development cooperation and struggle through a challenging international Master's programme that consits of 18 months of classes, workshops, study trips and examinations - there are no "semesterferien" and you are obliged to have within this time at least two times abroad for a summer school and your field research.
It provides the opportunity to specialise in the following fields:
- Project Management
- Political and Administrative Sciences
- Economic Evaluation Methods
- International Trade and Economic Reforms
- Financial Management
- Empirical Social Research
Applicants should have:
- above average B.A. or relevant degree in political science, social science, law, economics or geography or in other subjects related to the planning and evaluation of development programs and projects
- career experience in a relevant field; preference is given to candidates whose employers offer a reintegration guarantee. For DAAD scholarship applicants within the program "postgraduate courses with relevance to developing countries" at least two years career experience is required, other applicants shall demonstrate practical experience at least through a relevant internship
- Minimum certified proficiency in written and spoken English -TOEFL: 79-80 points internet based (equivalent to 213 points computer based or 550 paper based) or IELTS: band 6