About this course
This degree programme is unique, because it constitutes the link between biology, physics, mathematics and material science.
Those who wish to enrol in this degree programme, have a creative mind and an interest in scientific phenomena, enjoy conducting experiments and struggle through the degree programme.
Graduates from this degree programme frequently work
- as students in Major degree courses
- as students in Master of Education courses
- as students in chemistry Master’s degree courses (provided the Minor degree course is mathematics or physics)
Higher education entrance qualification (undergraduate degree programmes)
- Your higher education entrance qualification (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung, HZB) is your school leaving certificate or proof of studies already completed at secondary education level. To qualify for admission to Ruhr-Universität Bochum (RUB), you must be able to prove you possess the equivalent of the German Abitur qualification, which is the examination taken at the end of your secondary education.
Application without higher education entrance qualification
- If you don't have proof of a higher education entrance qualification, you will not be able to apply directly to the university. First, you will need to take an assessment test, called the "Feststellungsprüfung". You can prepare for this test by taking classes at a Studienkolleg (these are government-run educational institutions located throughout Germany), or special preparatory school.
The language of instruction at Ruhr-Universität Bochum (RUB) is German, and only a few degree courses are taught in English. The English-taught programmes have individual application procedures. A high level of German language skills is required to successfully complete a regular degree course at RUB; language skills can be proven by presenting a certificate gained for passing one of the following examinations:
- DSH examination (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang) (level 2 or 3)
- ZOP examination (Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung) of the Goethe-Institut
- German language diploma, level II, of the Goethe-Institut
- TestDaF (Deutsch als Fremdsprache) with the grades 4 x 4 or 16 points (website in German only)
Applicants who do not possess sufficient language skills may apply to take fee-based German language courses at RUB beginning at Level A2.