About this course
This degree programme is unique, because in addition to IT-related contents, students also acquire an understanding and competencies regarding numerous practical applications. Interdisciplinary exercises and projects prepare students for their professional lives, where interdisciplinary collaboration will become essential.
Those who wish to enrol in this degree programme, have a good grasp of mathematics and natural science, an inquisitive mind, enjoy mathematics and logical reasoning, working in a team, mastering interdisciplinary tasks and struggle through problems and finds solutions.
Graduates from this degree programme frequently work
- as software developers
- as system developers
- as IT consultants
- as IT trainers
Higher education entrance qualification (undergraduate degree programmes)
- Your higher education entrance qualification (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung, HZB) is your school leaving certificate or proof of studies already completed at secondary education level. To qualify for admission to Ruhr-Universität Bochum (RUB), you must be able to prove you possess the equivalent of the German Abitur qualification, which is the examination taken at the end of your secondary education.
Application without higher education entrance qualification
- If you don't have proof of a higher education entrance qualification, you will not be able to apply directly to the university. First, you will need to take an assessment test, called the "Feststellungsprüfung". You can prepare for this test by taking classes at a Studienkolleg (these are government-run educational institutions located throughout Germany), or special preparatory school.
The language of instruction at Ruhr-Universität Bochum (RUB) is German, and only a few degree courses are taught in English. The English-taught programmes have individual application procedures. A high level of German language skills is required to successfully complete a regular degree course at RUB; language skills can be proven by presenting a certificate gained for passing one of the following examinations:
- DSH examination (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang) (level 2 or 3)
- ZOP examination (Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung) of the Goethe-Institut
- German language diploma, level II, of the Goethe-Institut
- TestDaF (Deutsch als Fremdsprache) with the grades 4 x 4 or 16 points (website in German only)
Applicants who do not possess sufficient language skills may apply to take fee-based German language courses at RUB beginning at Level A2.