About this course
The aim of the three-year course in Fashion Design is to produce professionals with multiple skills and knowledge in the field of fashion, capable of using all the techniques of clothing manufacture and of responding to new demands in fashion and luxury. Participants start with the study of drawing and design techniques, fabric analysis and the manufacture of clothing, as well as aspects of industry production are also covered. The study of trends allows one to create a contemporary collection that can meet the demands of the target audience while respecting brand equity. The training requires participants to try their hand at everything from the basics of drawing in black and white to fashion illustration, with the goal of developing a totally personal style.
The learning of research techniques, trends or markets are just as important to the achievement of learning objectives; individual research is in fact the foundation of the educational programme and evolves over the three years with the aim of providing students with all the necessary tools to create their own clearly defined, unique and differentiated collection. The training also leads prospective professionals to use all the languages of visual communication in fashion, including new media. In the final year of the course, the best collections are presented during a fashion show.
The fashion designer is the source of creative ideas and new trends, not only in clothing but also in textiles and in the world of accessories and luxury. Designers create collections, starting with an accurate analysis of materials and fabrics and use communication codes that come from art, cinema and design. They are experts in marketing and fashion and know how to calculate timing and production costs to meet the needs of the target consumer and anticipate trends, while respecting the brand’s image. They are able to design womenswear, menswear and accessories, with an eye constantly attuned to new style codes. Learning outcomes include:
- Understand the different development phases of a fashion collection;
- Develop the ability to dialogue with the different professionals in the fashion system;
- Develop the creative, intellectual and technical skills and abilities necessary to operate successfully in the fashion industry;
- Apply current technologies and cutting-edge fashion techniques, demonstrating a thorough understanding of them;
- Acquire a professional and entrepreneurial approach to the design profession, demonstrating problemsolving skills;
- Sustain appropriate arguments while presenting their work
Optional language courses (1 month, € 2.500):
- Fashion French
Note: Students who successfully complete the programmes taught in English in Paris and London will be awarded with a BA (Hons) degree by MMU (Manchester Metropolitan University).
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Students from the UK are required to have a minimum of 5 GCSE passes, one of which must be in English, and 2 A-Levels, one of which must be in art with a minimum grade of C.
- French students who are applying need to have a Bac.
English Language Requirements
- Entry at Level 5:
- Students whose mother tongue is not English need to provide a valid English Language certificate with a minimum of B2 for the breakdown (on the CEFR), IELTS 6.0 without elements below 5.5.
- Entry at Level 6:
- Students whose mother tongue is not English need to provide a valid English Language certificate with a minimum a minimum IELTS 6.5 (or similar TOEFL or Cambridge award).