Curtin University Sarawak Malaysia, Miri, Malaysia
Average Tuition (entire course)
Male : female student ratio
58 : 42
Local : international
88 : 12
FREE: Request Information
Why Study at Curtin University Sarawak?
Enriching Our Courses
Our undergraduate degrees are even more flexible. You will have the freedom to follow your interests as you learn more about your field before choosing a major that suits your career goals.
With seven campuses across the Asia-Pacific region, Curtin gives you all the benefits of a truly international university. When you graduate, you'll have a degree that is recognised in more places around the world and be able to complete further study at either campus to enhance your career prospects.
Assurance of Quality
Our courses are identical in all aspects to those offered at Curtin's main campus in Australia, are endorsed by the Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysian Qualifications Agency and Malaysian Public Services Department (JPA), and accredited by professional bodies, ensuring wide recognition.
Building A Reputation
You will find our campus offers the best possible facilities one would expect from Curtin's first and largest international campus, a joint venture with the Sarawak State Government. Curtin Sarawak offers a vibrant campus lifestyle with a mix of academic support services and exciting social events.
Sports & Recreation
Multimedia & IT
No reviews yet.
Are you alumni of or currently studying at Curtin University Sarawak Malaysia?Write a review
Curtin University Sarawak Malaysia (Curtin Sarawak) is the first offshore campus and largest international campus of Curtin University, Western Australia (Curtin Perth). It is also the first foreign university campus to be established in East Malaysia in 1999 and currently among the top-rated universities in Malaysia under the Malaysian SETARA and D-SETARA rating systems.
Curtin Sarawak is located in a region of Sarawak famed for its natural wonders, rich cultural heritage and biodiversity, oil and gas industry, and emerging processing and manufacturing industries. With students from more than 40 countries, Curtin Sarawak offer students a truly international and cross-cultural learning environment in a unique Malaysian setting which adds rich and valuable dimension to the campus atmosphere.
A wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in engineering, science, commerce and arts is offered, in addition to courses at pre-university level that feed directly into undergraduate programmes. These programmes equip graduates with essential skills through exposure to industry and business, as well as research, which focuses on solving real world problems. This combination enables graduates to be effective in the workplace upon graduation.
In February 1999, Curtin Sarawak began operations in Miri, Sarawak. In 2002, the new purpose-built campus in a garden opened, which is a world-class facility where stylish architecturally designed buildings complement state-of-the-art equipment and facilities coupled with sophisticated IT linkages to provide students access to the resources of Curtin, Western Australia. In November 1999, Curtin Sarawak was awarded the Multimedia Super Corridor status which was renewed in 2006. In 2010, Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) grants Curtin Sarawak self-accreditation status and was listed in the Malaysian Qualifications Register. In the same year, Curtin Sarawak is accorded recognition by Malaysian Institute of Certified Public Accountants (MICPA), exempting its Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) graduates from completing Module A and Module B of the institute's Professional Stage Examination.
Curtin Sarawak's campus is regarded as one of the most modern and unique in the region. Australian architecture and traditional Sarawakian elements were combined for a hybrid look that is distinctly Curtin Sarawak. While the designs of the buildings draw heavily from Curtin traditions, the campus is landscaped according to the local style and aesthetics to fit in with Sarawak's tropical climate. The use of modern technology on the campus is also very extensive as Curtin places great emphasis on utilising technology to support teaching, learning and research. Furthermore, sophisticated IT linkages provide access to the online resources of the main campus in Perth.
The campus currently has 14 computer labs with over 400 PCs for student use in addition to terminals located in the library that provide access to the library's online databases. The campus boasts a number of state-of-the-art science and engineering labs, including Chemical Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Structural Engineering, Electrical Power, Electronic and Communication, Embedded System, Networking, Renewable Energy and Geophysics labs. Film and television students, meanwhile, can count on a custom-built Film Lab and Editing Suite equipped with the latest broadcast-quality film-making equipment and software. Students have access to recreational facilities such as the multipurpose Recreation and Event Centre which houses an indoor basketball court, badminton courts and gym facilities, as well as a football field, rugby pitch, outdoor basketball court, tennis courts and indoor volleyball cum futsal court. In addition to the library, laboratories and recreational facilities, there are:
- Academic support
- Study areas
- A choice of food outlets
- Student lounge
- Postal and banking facilities
- Campus bookshop
- Convenience store
- Health and first aid centre
- Counseling services
- Islamic Centre
- Public transportation
The impressive 300-acre campus opening in the suburb of Senadin to the north of the city in 2002 established a firm foothold in Malaysia. Prior to that, for some three years, the fledgling campus occupied temporary premises at a secondary school at Riam Road in the city's southern outskirts. Curtin Sarawak is set in the midst of open flatland that stretches all the way to the Baram River (Sarawak and Malaysia's second-longest) where the Trans-Borneo Highway and the ASEAN Bridge links Miri to neighbouring Brunei.
The campus is surrounded by lush greenery as far as the eye can see. Interspersed within this expanse are wetlands, including Sarawak's first wetland recreational park, as well as man-made lakes and canals that attract a variety of migratory and water birds. Curtin Sarawak is within walking distance to student accommodation and food outlets. Students will also have easy access to public transport around the city and to nearest local shopping complexes.
Curtin Sarawak has four student accommodation options to suit a range of budgets:
- Lakeside Apartments I & II: Housing that allows students to stay close to the action. A short walk from the campus cafeteria, computer laboratories and library, the Lakeside Apartments consist of six 3-storey blocks with 172 apartment units. Rental per person per month ranges from RM325 to RM575, depending on the room type.
- Curtin Village: About five-minute's drive from the campus and consisting of 24 semi-detached houses. Students have the option of private or shared rooms in fully-furnished 5-bedroom houses. Rental per person per month ranges from RM420 to RM500, depending on the room type.
- Curtin Villa: About 3-minute's drive from the campus and consisting of 60 terrace-type houses. Intermediate units for 8 residents with 6 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 2 kitchens and living cum dining room. Rental per person per month ranges from RM340 to RM500, depending on the room type.
- Curtin Water: Located about 2 kilometers from the campus and consisting of 34 terrace-type houses. Corner and intermediate units for 6 residents with 5 bedrooms, and a shared bathrooms, kitchens and living cum dining room. Rental per person per month ranges from RM400 to RM570, depending on the room type.
- Macnab Medal for excellence in design by the Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE), UK (2007). Curtin Sarawak was the first Higher Educational Institution in Malaysia to receive the internationally recognised award.
- Curtin students received an award in the national ICT competition (2007).
- Five Curtin Sarawak students received the Western Australian Government’s scholarship to further their studies at the Bentley Campus (2007).
- Reprogrammable Intelligent Battery Charger 2 (riBAC2) by Curtin students won the Gold Award of 2007 Sarawak Open Source competition.
- Curtin Mass Communication students won Best Cinematography – Short Film (Nenek Inyak) organised by RTM (2007).
- (2003, 2004 and 2005) Curtin Sarawak’s lecturers won Excellence & Innovation Teaching Awards for three consecutive years, which is the highest form of recognition for exemplary teaching practice
Fully accredited by National and International Professional Bodies:
- Rated “Excellent” (or “Tier 5”) in SETARA and D-SETARA
- QS World University Rankings 2013
- Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU)
- Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA)
easyuni Sdn Bhd (hereafter EASYUNI) makes every possible effort to ensure that the information published on this website is accurate and up-to-date, but we accept no legal liability for errors or omissions, and reserve the right to make changes without notice.
Please note that the information published on this website concerning courses is intended for guidance purposes only. Therefore you are advised to contact the University or College before applying in order to confirm details because the availability of courses, tuition fees, and entry requirements may change without notice.
EASYUNI and its directors, employees, agents and consultants exclude all liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of, or reliance on, the material contained on this website whether or not caused by a negligent act or omission. EASYUNI makes every effort to ensure that the information on courses published on its website is up-to-date and accurate. However it does not constitute a contract and does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in or referred to in the material on this website.
FREE: Request Information
Questions / Comments
easyuni Sdn. Bhd. (Formerly known as HESCAR Sdn. Bhd.). All Rights Reserved.
easyuni Sdn. Bhd. is MSC status company.