About this course
This degree prepares you for a career as a professional civil engineer, who are currently in high demand.
- SACE Stage 2 Specialist Mathematics, Mathematical Methods, Mathematical Studies or equivalent. Knowledge of SACE Stage 2 Physics or equivalent is assumed.
English Language Requirements:
- Achieved the required level for the course you are applying for; or
- Successful completion of an approved secondary or tertiary qualification, taught in the English language in a country where English is the official language or the main language spoken (for English levels 1-3 only) with evidence no more than five years old on the proposed date of commencement of the course; or
- Successfully completed a pre-course English program from an approved ELICOS Provider.
- Other evidence of English language proficiency may be accepted.
A typical first year may include:
- core topics in electronics, professional skills, engineering design, engineering programming, engineering physics and materials, engineering mechanics, and mathematics.
A typical second year may include:
- core topics in engineering mathematics, mechanics and structures, fluid mechanics, infrastructure systems engineering, civil engineering design, engineering geology and geomechanics, structural engineering, and geographical information systems.
A typical third year may include:
- core topics in geotechnical engineering, structural engineering, transport systems engineering, hydraulics and water engineering, project management for engineering and science, and workplace preparation
- a 20-week industry placement.
A typical honours year may include:
- a major civil engineering honours thesis allowing high-performing students to progress to a higher degree by research
- topics in advanced civil engineering design, and standards, ethics and compliance
- design of a major piece of infrastructure
- a selection of electives in allied science and engineering areas.